NGK Laser Iridium plugs

Not sure I’d minimize it as much as you did. Plug fouling is almost non-existent today but was pretty prevalent with the older technology of carbs and points ignition systems.

Don’t agree with this either. There are a number of advantages over conventional construction. The work function of Iridium is lower and the plug construction leads to better flame propagation and cleaner operation. I typed this all out once here and not about to do it again. Here’s a brief summary at a fundamental level- Global Networks|NGKスパークプラグ/NTKテクニカルセラミックス製品サイト

1 Like

I meant initial performance. For 99.999999% of us we won’t see any difference in initial performance. But I do know people who have bought Platinum or Iridium plugs thinking they are going to get better performance - and they aren’t. If they performed better then every NASCAR driver (or any auto racer) would be using them…and they aren’t.

A properly running Carb did little to foul plugs. Points and condenser did however foul plugs sooner. A lot had to do with the plug Gap size for a Points Condenser system. Electronic Ignition systems allow you to widen the Gap significantly.

I know many race teams are using Silver Coated tip plugs…but never heard of any using Iridium or Platinum plugs.

Because the vendor online selling stuff for 1/2 price is guaranteed to be selling real, Oem stuff? Like my $20 Rolex I got from the sidewalk vendor in ny.

Yes Mike, I remember changing spark plugs on my 1966 Malibu and 1971 Mercury Comet. In 1975 we had the first 25,000 mile spark plugs and it has improved ever since.

MGK? AC-Belco? Champian?

:wink:

My Blackbird used Iridium plugs way back in the 90’s… They were $15 each…ouch.

I know race teams that rebuild engines after every race…not sure of the relevance.

2 Likes

Nobody has mentioned the role leaded gas played in fouling plugs and shortening their life.
From 1975 to 1985 the EPA mandated a gradual reduction in lead concentration to about 1/20 the late '60s level before eliminating it from road vehicle pumps in 1988.

That was also during the time of manufacturers transitioning to Electronic Ignition.

I have no idea why you would use anything but name brand plugs specially when you can buy like Champion Iridiums online for less than $5 a plug at Rock auto .

It’s far better to use plugs that are the OEM supplier.

For Asian vehicles I use NGK or Denso. When I owned GM products I used AC/Delco.

There is not one factor alone that will account for today’s plug longevity. It is a combination of several things. The top items would be…Material metallurgy, Fuel Mixture, Computer controlled ignition, Fuel type…and don’t forget tighter engine tolerances.

Its definitely a group effort.

Plus no more leaded gasoline.

Yes, definitely @Docnick… thats one of the ingredients for sure.

:laughing:

Back in the late '60s, a very gullible friend showed me the new “Omega” watch that he had just bought in the parking lot of Pep Boys. I moved the hands slightly to reveal that the brand was actually Cimega.

His genuine Cimega worked for just a few weeks before it self-destructed, but at least he only paid $10 for it.

On the other hand, some of the fake Rolex watches sold by guys in trench coats keep better time than the real thing. :wink:

My wife and I both bought fake Rolexes at the night market in Bangkok. Thailand. The cost $20 US each after some haggling. US sailors on R&R routinely pay $85 US for the same thing

Both watches lasted well over 3 years and only required a new battery.

When these watches quit (for good), naive buyers go to the local Rolex dealer for a possible fix. They quickly are told the difference.

I’m sure a Rolex, Omega, and other pricey knockoffs all have the poor quality insides made in China.

3 Likes

I would not bash China goods that much… although I agree they have quite a share of low-quality stuff originating there

I wear health tracker which is “100% certified China brand” and it gives me 30+ days on a charge (promised “up to 45 days”) while doing not only steps, but pulse, barometric, GPS, and the quality of the build is top-notch for $55 I paid… yes, it is not $10 :slight_smile:

I said that earlier; and was greeted with a non sequitur.