New windshield

My son’s car was vandalized lastnight and I have to replace the windshield. Are there any differences in glass quality I need to know about or any questions I should ask the glass companies? The car doesn’t have comprehensive coverage so I’m paying out of pocket.

I have found no difference in glass replacement, regardless of brand offered. All must meet proper safety specs, so I go with the cheapest cash bid. I have used local and “chain” glass providers with equally good results. Check on warranty as far as water leakage is concerned; most providers now offer a as long as you own the car leakage guarantee. Emphasize to the shop that this is a cash transaction and it is possible that will influence the pricing you get.

While not knowing much about the difference in glass quality, whatever course of action you choose, be sure that the car stays stationary for 24 hours. The adhesive needs to cure properly.

I once had my windsheild replaced at a dealership, drove it home shortly therefter, (with the dealers blessing) and the glass slid down in the mounts, leaving the upper edge of the glass exposed to the elements. The dealer ended up replacing the glass at hom in my driveway. We let the car stand for 24 hours and all was and still is well.

One thing I like to do is wait a week to make sure the adhesive is cured and then go to a car wash with a high-pressure wand to see if there are any leaks. If there’s a problem, it’s better to report it sooner rather than later.

While not knowing much about the difference in glass quality, whatever course of action you choose, be sure that the car stays stationary for 24 hours.

I don’t know of ANY replacement glass company that recommends that. Curing time is about an hour every place I’ve used…and NEVER had a problem.

I’ve used the places that come to your house and replace the glass on the spot several times. I never had a problem with them and you can’t beat the convenience.

For what it’s worth, this happened 8 years ago. When I left the dealership the weather stripping on all sides was fine, I inspected before I got in. A few days later, The weatherstripping at the top edge of the wind windsheild was significantly disengaged. When I brough it back to the dealer, I compared my condition with other cars of the same make (the car was 5 months old at the time). Markings on my replaced wind sheild were noticably lower in relation to the dash board as on new cars on the lot.

Call your insurance company. Most states make insurance companies waive the deductible for windshield repairs. They will send someone out to install the new windshield and the quality should be as good as the original.

OP said she didn’t have comprehensive, so it is you pay.