New VSS partially good?

Quick Summation:

-99 2.5 Duratec ATX
-Speedometer and Odometer stopped on Highway (VSS shaft broke off)
-Shifting went to hell (auto)
-Car Threw a PO500 on next start
-Bought a new VSS (Standard Motor Products)
-Replaced VSS, code gone
-Gears shift properly, but odometer/speedometer still not working

Years ago cougar people said not to use BWD brand VSS sensors, because they didn’t work. Others said all aftermarket VSS sensors just didn’t work, that only Motorcraft sensors worked. BWD (found out after install) is a Standard Motor Products brand. The SMP sensor I used is totally unbranded, Usually Standard has SOME markings.

So… could the sensors tolerances be just enough to tell the ECU the info to shift but not the speedo?

-No blown fuses in the inside panel.
-All gauges sweep in diagnostic mode
-MPH doesn’t show in diagnostic mode
-Everything worked fine before OEM sensor Failed

Haven’t used my Bluetooth scanner to see if ECU is getting signal yet. But something has to be getting signal, right? Can’t afford the Motorcraft sensor even though I’ve found one for 75$.

dit: this blog gives a little evidence of a VSS not providing a strong enough signal for speedo but enough for the ECU. Provident Engineering: Diagnosing a speedometer failure on a 1999 Mercury Cougar

Yes, it’s entirely possible a no name VSS could be incompatible or marginal with your car/truck. I’ve experienced that with ABS sensors. The big question is if the speedo is independent of the ECU/PCM in your application. If it is, and you can’t afford an OEM equivalent device, then I’d simply rely on a GPS reading from a phone or other source to display speed. Perhaps you can harvest one from a junkyard for less money??

1 Like

Have you checked Rockauto? They have several brands $25 and under. Anyone on the Cougar discussion have success with anything but Motorcraft? Maybe find out what other Fords used that engine/transmission combination, check out their forums.
edit - it has the CD4E transmission, also used in these applications:

OK , if the cost of a correct part to solve this problem is too much . Then a speeding ticket in a school zone because of a non-working speedometer is really going to be a problem.

Did you buy the part from Amazon, or worse EBay? Be honest.

Respectfully, should you be giving advice with this issue? Esp. slightly snarky advice? Because if so it would be obvious the car is an automatic, so its undrivable with a bad VSS. Unless I want to destroy my trans of course.

My daughter was born premature 2 weeks ago and has health complications because of it. So the OEM parts I usually buy weren’t an option because even on Rock Auto where I bought the SMP the Moitorcraft sensor is 150$ or so.and every single dollar counts right now.

Same comment to the gent under you.

Thank you for the genuine post. I borrowed a dongle and ECU is getting signal. So to the junk yards I go but cougars are rare in yards sadly. Have a great day.

Look for the other cars I listed if you can’t find a Cougar.

1 Like

Tech one from a contour (also rare) should work but the reference signal isnt split like in the cougars harness. Might get the same issue. Dunno. This stinks all around!

In the mean time you can get a speedometer app for your phone, they work pretty well.

1 Like

The car is shifting correctly but at times is sort of, “lags” which is not correct so I’m debating if I want to risk driving it at all for now, but good idea!

Worse is this car is a early (2/99) so parts are even harder to find since many parts were completely changed in may of that same year. Most sold were manuals to boot. If you look at rock many of the parts listed as VSS aren’t even speed sensors they’re output sensors, lol

Suggest to explain your configuration w/ a little more detail . Is there a rotating shaft inside a cable from the transmission to the speedometer? And the VSS is part of the speedometer ass’y? Or is the VSS part of the transmission? And the VSS is read by the PCM, which then is supposed to display the speed on the console display via electronic commands?

In any event, an auto trans is unlikely to be able to shift correctly without knowing the vehicle speed. So the fact that it shifts ok now is a good clue.