New Transmission

HELP!!!

My husband have a 2000 Mountainair SUV. It has approximately 90,000 miles on it. He took it to the the repair shop because the suv acted like it did not want to start. My husband Chris, was told that the old gal need a new transmission. The cost; $2,000 to $3,000. My suggestion is that he trade it in. My dear husband said it is still in good condition. I want him to trade it for another car (NOT AN SUV). Do you guys think it would be in his best interest to have the repair work done, or trade her in. Please help, because I feel that if he spend that kind of cash on this truck, it will continue to drain our pockets. Please HELP.

When you trade in a vehicle that doesn’t work, well, it still needs repaired, and they’ll slam you for that right off the top.
Even trading it in it’s best for it to be a working vehicle.
If repaired first and working properly you could sell it yourself and get even more in pocket for it.

If you feel that spending $2-3,000 will be draining your pockets, why would you want to spend many more thousands for a new car? It’s almost always cheaper to repair your current vehicle and keep it running.

On the other hand, if YOU want a new car, just because you want a new car, then go buy one.

get a second opinion…doesn’t necessary mean the first diagnosis is correct.

I suspect it’s actually a Mountaineer, which is a glorified Explorer. How did they get to the transmission issue from you having trouble starting?

“He took it to the the repair shop because the suv acted like it did not want to start. My husband Chris, was told that the old gal need a new transmission.”

If a mechanic told you that starting problems were the result of a worn-out transmission, that would be an extremely good reason to RUN from that shop and never return to it.

Can you clarify these two very different issues for us?

Really, Ditto, I am unfamiliar with a transmission causing starting problems, you should ask the guy “My father in law was wondering if the transmission work will help the starting problem.” then post the answer here. Meanwhile get a second opinion.