New to me Ford Explorer 03. Help

I would like to know if there are maintenance steps I could take in order to make the engine more efficient. I mean when I step on the gas it sounds like im pulling the Budweiser Clidesdales and the extra donkey. Should I change the air filter? the something else? Help?

It’s not clear if you’re describing engine noise that’s normal or unusual. Hopefully this isn’t an engine with some kind of serious damage, such as from running low on oil or sludging. Is the noise just louder than you’d expect? Are there any knocking or pinging sounds? Does the car accelerate normally? Does it idle smoothly? Is the check-engine light on? Are you getting the expected fuel economy?

Regardless, you need to be sure you’re caught up on all maintenance, not just the air filter, although that’s a good place to start. If you don’t have maintenance records, then you’ll have to assume nothing has been done, unfortunately. I’d also have the car scanned for any codes that might have been set in the past.

For future reference, a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic is highly recommended around here, to avoid situations like this one.

Regardless, you need to be sure you’re caught up on all maintenance, not just the air filter, although that’s a good place to start. If you don’t have maintenance records, then you’ll have to assume nothing has been done, unfortunately. I’d also have the car scanned for any codes that might have been set in the past.

Worth repeating.

Your post is very unclear. Any Check Engine Light on? Any bucking and jerking?
Does the vehicle run sluggish in any way or is this complaint more moise related than anything? Revs go up but vehicles doesn’t move accordingly?

Yes, ia am describing engine noise. It starts fine and runs good but, I am just trying to be careful. I am going to try a mechanic from the list of good mechanics on this site. It actually only has 75K miles on it and everything inside and mostly out looks great.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Efficiency and SUVs don’t go together unfortunately. What were you driving previously? My 2000 Blazer is a lot noisier under acceleration than my 2010 Cobalt.

Is the maintenance up to date? At the least I would do the following to bring the Explorer up to date.

1. New air and fuel filters

2. Oil change and filter. Check the oil level on a regular basis to get a feel for the the Explorer’s oil consumption. By checking under the hood of my Blazer on a regular basis I found a leaking intake manifold gasket (slow drop in coolant level) and a leak in the radiator before any engine damage occurred.

3. Transmission pan drop and filter (not a flush) every 30k.

4. Change the coolant.

5. I drained and changed the front and rear axle, and the transfer case oil at 45k on my Blazer (bought used at 35k). The Blazer has a 117k miles with no issues so far with these components.

6. A new quality serpentine belt (Goodyear Poly-V) (every 3 or 4 years on the Blazer).

7. Spark plugs, a 100k interval is too long in my opinion. Depending on the engine layout it might be a do it yourself job.

I’m sure there are other things I’ve missed. Check the maintenance schedule in the Owner’s manual.

Ed B.

You are why I posted this here!!! Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. JR0315

Maybe there’s nothing wrong with the vehicle and the engine noise is just different as compared to what you were previously driving.

If you’re referring to what may seem an abnormally loud intake air noise then that could be due to either a badly clogged air filter which is causing the engine to strain more or a missing air filter. (All assuming the intake is the factory original and not some aftermarket add-on.)