New Tires with Tread separating

Can anyone shed some insigh? After driving for 30+ years I have had two sets of tires separate on the inside. I go to the same trusted garage that I have used for 15 years. Both sets were new and top of the line. I was told it was due to not rotating often enough (I waited 5000 miles). I find it odd that this happened twice on a 2001 Toyota Avalon but never happened to me before with any other vehicle I owned. They say the tires are still safe (lots of tread) but will be noisy. I have only had them a year. Can you think of anything that might be wrong with my car’s steering or wheels, etc. that could cause this? The garage repeatedly tells me everything checks out OK. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you might have…

I was told it was due to not rotating often enough (I waited 5000 miles). … They say the tires are still safe (lots of tread) but will be noisy.

I would not trust that garage that much.

You should be given new tyres, they are defective not worn. IMO

I would not consider them safe.

If the tread or plies truly separated, that is a manufacturing defect and the tires should be replaced, probably on a pro-rata basis.

Tire rotation recommendations run from 5000 (Goodyear/Firestone) to 7500 (Costco), in my experience, so every 5K is NOT too late.

This garage needs a reality check.

Tires that separate are NOT safe.

They appear to shun responsibility for those tires.Perhaps I’m wrong but something seems shady here.

Why? Doesn’t the manufacturer supply the warranty?

Any wheel out of alignment will cause uneven tread wear.
I doubt it would cause separations.

Improper tire air pressures for a given tire and/or load will also cause uneven wear.

Separations are usually from poor quality.

Who makes the tires? Have you checked for recalls?
Go here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

There is a Businessweek story this week on a Chinese manufactured tire with a large recall (finally) because they eliminated the glue strips on the inside that hold the tire together.

If your tires are separating, they ARE NOT SAFE. You need a new garage and some new tires.

I never rotate my tires. I have a front wheel drive car. When the fronts wear out, I move the rears up and buy a new set for the rear. Over time, it is cheaper this way. And I’ve never had tread separate in all the years I have been driving.

Please define what you are calling “separated”. We use this term when the tread rubber comes lose from the body of the tire. Is that happening to your tires? This is tread separation. There is also “ply separation” where air gets between the fabric ply’s and peels them apart, resulting in noticeable bulge someplace on the tire…

So how often do you check tire pressure, if ever? This is not a case of underinflation rubbing the sidewalls out is it?

Driving around with 22 PSI on a tire will kill it quick; very quick.

The tires were probably made with poor quality chemicals. The night shift guys… Seriously, production mistakes happen.

These tires are probably NOT separating.

What is going on is these tires are wearing irregularly and the garage guy - incorrectly - is assuming the tires are the problem.

The vehicle is out of alignment. Go fix that and the problem will go away.

BTW - “In Spec” isn’t good enough. The alignment has to be within the middle half of the tolerance.

Ive only had one set of tires separate, and going 40k a year I use a lot of tires. I couple years ago I bought a van that had new snow tires on it, Sears Wintermaster made by Cooper. Within 10k miles the first tire separated and another was starting. I put 2 new tires on it. Then the other two separated in the next 10k.

Tire seperation is caused solely by tire manufacturing defects. A seperated tire generates a large amount of heat at speed that could easily lead to suddent catastrophic failure and the instability of the tread on the road adversesly affects traction and handling. Seperated tires are unsafe.

A chinese manufacturer who makes tires for a number of different brand names was recently discovered to have been producing tires without the bonding ply under the tread. A number of tire models have subsequently been recalled. You may want to google “tire recalls” and see if yours were involved.

• mountainbike