New starter's pinion gear doesn't engage flywheel - Huh?

I had this same problem with a Tempo, starter spun, no crank. Took it off and pinion would correctly turn only one way. Pinion slid out easily. Lubed up and reinstalled…same problem! New starter…problem solved. I concluded the one-way clutch in the Bendix had failed, but I sure couldn’t replicate it on the bench.

Ok, all fixed. Turns out it was improper installation. (Good call Mountainbike and Barkydog.)

I pulled it out, inspected everything and all looked fine. Figured by now I’m getting so I can install it a little quicker (practicing standing on your head helps), so why not just try again. This time I was more careful to be sure it was seated flat. Best theory is that, although it looked flat against the bell housing, it wasn’t and although the bolts were tight, the starter was crooked.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!!

@bcompton‌

You are the man!

Sincere congratulations and sincere thanks for the follow up post. It’s great to hear a happy ending.

Happy motoring,
TSM

Starter motors – by the nature of what they do, engaging the flywheel teeth – are located in probably the most inaccessible location in the whole engine compartment. I know for a fact you aren’t the first DIY’er that got one installed a little cockeye. The first install of a starter motor for me, it wouldn’t fit, and discovered I was trying to install it upside down!

Later on I discovered on my Corolla there’s a sort of indented circle where it fits, and I now make sure before bolting anything that the starter motor housing will rotate +/- 10 degrees freely, flat against that surface inside the circle. That way I know it is seated properly.