New school or old school that is the question

I own a 2007 GMC Yukon which has every bell and whistle this side of NASA. There is a read out that says when to change the oil. I have always changed my oil every 3000 miles or 5000 kilometers religously. This read out didn’t even notify me before 8000 kilometers,at which time I changed the oil. This is the first time I have changed the oil since I bought it used in March.My dear late dad would have freaked if he knew I had waited this long for service. Should I ignore the read out and change every 5000 K’s or will no harm come to the engine if I change when notified by the read out. Tony

The read out comprehends several factors and is quite accurate. The idea is to reduce the amount of oil used (dumped after oil changes) and provide the proper lubrication for the motor.

There is nothing wrong with changing your oil more frequently if you feel compelled to do so.

GM has been using this system for a long time. California (the state government) recently began encouraging their residents to use the gauge to tell them when to change oil. Apparently the Cali motor pool uses it, too.

I’d go by the computer. Miles are just miles. Some miles are harder on a vehicle than others, and some miles are pretty easy. The computer knows the difference, and will adjust the change interval accordingly.

Your 8,000 kilometers is only 5,000 miles, and lots of vehicles have recommended oil change intervals much longer than that.

Welcome to the twenty-first century.

Times have changed including engines and oils. My first car called for oil changes every 3,000 miles, mine often go changes at 2,000 miles. Times have changed. In this case I would suggest your car knows best.

This might help. Part of the reason we used to have shorter changes was because each driver and conditions are different. They recommended oil changes based on “worse case” That is no needed in your case.

I agree with the earlier posts. It takes time to get used to the longer oil change intervals. I drive for a company that changes oil on all fleet vehicles at the 6K mark. The majority have reached the 300K mark with no problems. These vehicles are used on trips of 100 miles or more. The majority are Chevy Astro vans. A few transmissions have failed but no engine failures (knock on wood) at this point. We are truly in the 21st century.

The 3000 mile figure for oil changes that was drilled into our heads was the product of a conspiracy between the vehicle manufacture and the “BIG OIL COMPANIES” and it worked. :slight_smile:

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander (minivar) and I go by the readout as to when to change the oil. In the winter with short hop driving, it indicates a change around 3000 miles. In the summer, with long drives, it may not indicate an oil change is needed for 6000 miles. On my previous vehicles, I did the same thing–more often in the winter with short drives–less frequently in the summer for highway driving. I still pull the dipstick and check the oil level every other fill-up.

Agree with all the above. Folks I know with the GM computer often have it go to 7500 miles before changing (lots of highway miles). 3000 miles is no longer necessary unless under severe circumstances, and the computer takes that into account.

I change when the computer says about 50%, 3-5,000, or twice a year depending on the car. On my high mileage work car I change at 3-4000. I wouldn’t go beyond 5000 regardless of what the computer said, regardless of whether its a “Big Oil Conspiracy” or not. Just IMHO.

Today’s engines if otherwise properly maintained are perfectly capable of going 8,000 kilometers on modern oils without adverse effects.

There is also absolutely no harm in changing the oil more often if you prefer.

I change my oil when I pull out the dipstick and it looks NASTY…This seems to happen every 4000 miles or so…It starts off clear, after a while it turns amber…A while longer and it turns brown and opaque. That’s when I change it…The engines in my cars last a LONG time…

MB are you testing our math skills? Here in the USA we deal in miles not km.

Far be it from me to be testing anybody’s math skills.
The OP used kilometers, so I used kilometers.

I’ve been working on cars since the mid 60’s so I’m normally an old school kind of guy, but I’m convinced the computer is a good idea and I go by it.