Oil changes

i drive in city , and highway, but been doing more city latley. but i take my car on the highway to get the oil warmed up several times a month. is it ok to go 2000 miles on this oil or can i go 3000. i dont drive on dirty roads very often. winter time i plug my car in. and warm it up.

I suggest you read the “severe service” maintenance schedule that came with the owner’s manual, and see if your driving situation qualifies. If so, follow the recommended intervals for oil and other fluid changes.

It’s not just the oil that needs to be changed, you know.

no i know its just not the oil changes , my car is very good maintanced

I’d go by what your manual says, which is almost certainly well over 2,000 or 3,000 miles.

Don’t over do it. Few modern cars need or benefit from oil changes at 2,000 or even 3,000 miles. In fact it might be better for the car to do fewer oil changes.

OK, as long as you don’t go over the manufacture’s recommendation and change the oil as indicated in the owner’s manual you are fine.

Careful test have indicated that the first few hundred miles with new oil actually results in more wear than older oil. However it is not really a material difference.

Those recommendations for oil changes at 2,000 miles were from grandpa who bought their first car in the days that oils and cars demanded changes at 3,000 miles. Both cars and oils today are far different and don’t need that kind of overkill.

Joseph, That’s Interesting. Can You Point Me In The Direction Of Those Test Results?

Careful test have indicated that the first few hundred miles with new oil actually results in more wear than older oil. However it is not really a material difference.

I’ve not heard this. I’d be interested in reading about it.

Thanks, CSA

bluebird; your driving pattern borders on severe and with modern oils 3000 miles is a good interval for changing it. I had 3 large GM cars and the manuals called for 3000 miles for severe service. Taking it out for an extended drive on the highway is a good way to drive off condensation and raw gasoline.

Use a good quality oil of the right weight for you weather.