New Reliable Car with Specific Features

Mazda 3: about the same size as your Corolla, but heftier and more powerful. Mazdas are long-lasting cars if cared for, but here in the rust belt I see more rust on old ones than on most other makes. That may not be a factor for you.

1 Like

300 hp isnā€™t enough???

Thatā€™s like 90-ish to 134 HP. Finding a new car with that little amount of power in the U.S.would be a tough task. Over here a basic family car will start at around 170 HP (126~kW) with the ā€œbig enginedā€ options making around 300-340 HP (225-250~ kW). But then again our fuel taxation and insurance costs tend to be more reasonable.

Iā€™ve driven TDI VWā€™s the 8 valve 1.9L was pitifully slow, it was in a Jetta, it got off the line reasonably well, but beyond that initial hit of torque, thereā€™s not much going on. The later 2 liter 16 valve TDIā€™s are superior IMHO, you still get good grunt off the line, but you have a more of usable rev range. But generally speaking, in the U.S. we like our diesels big ( 6 to 7 liters).

Mazda 3 with the 2.5 liter engine or the Mazda 6 with turbo 2.5 will meet all of your criteria.

Non-turbo preferred, so non-turbo Mazdas are a good fit.

It appears the Accord folks have lost a potential sale due the turbo-only engine configuration. But maybe they gained it back and more from folks looking for a turbo, who knows?

I wanted to buy a V6 Accord for a long time. Finally, when I had the cash, Honda stopped making them. Civic, Accord, CR-V, RDX are not on my list anymore.

1 Like

Some in your list has Turbo I think. One additional note. I was a long time Ford customer. Kept losing my paychecks over their poor quality products and left them. I no longer buy domestic models and since then have much better quality of life without car breakdowns.

Canā€™t buy manual. Family members wonā€™t be able to drive. Cars are shared.

You just wiped four very good vehicles off your list of choices. Really , you need to drag yourself into the modern world. Many 4 cylinder engine make more power that the big V8ā€™s of years ago and can last many years longer.
Turbo charged engines are not a recent development and I see no reason for the reluctance to buy one.