New Ford truck/SUV recall

Vehicles recalled: 2016-2017 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs, and 2016-2018 F-150 pickup trucks equipped with 3.5L EcoBoost engines.

The problem: The brake master cylinder may allow brake fluid to leak from the front-wheel circuit into the brake booster.

Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to have the brake master cylinder replaced. In addition, the brake booster will be replaced if the brake master cylinder is already leaking.

1 Like

when are they going to recall the 3.5L ecoboost because of crappy design???
#InternalWaterpump
#PrematureTimingChainGuideWear

This one doesn’t seem related to the engine. Brake Master cylinder problem apparently. It’s sort of hard to understand though why their brake master cylinder design would leak on this SUV, given some version of a BMC has been installed on Ford vehicles for many, many years. I wonder how that occured?

1 Like

This is the cause;

Description of the Cause : Investigation of field return parts found the causes of the brake fluid leak to be brake fluid contamination that could interfere with rear cup seal function or, to a lesser extent, rolling of the rearmost cup seal in the master cylinder.

Toyota also blamed the fluid for their failing master cylinder rear cup seals;

What is the condition?
During vehicle assembly, Toyota uses brake fluids containing polymers that act as lubricants for certain brake system components.
If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain such polymers, or contains only small amounts, a part of the rubber seal
(the Brake Master Cylinder Cup) located at the rear of the brake master cylinder may become dry, and the rubber seal may curl
during movement of the piston. If this occurs, a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak from the seal into the brake booster,

Do you think it’s a Dot 3/4 vs Dot 5 issue? Or more complicated? Good info, thanks for the post.

I don’t think the water pump is internal on the truck 3.5 is it? I read somewhere that it wasn’t on the trucks, but was on some other applications.

As far as the premature timing problems…that’s kind of a Ford truck thing in general for the last 18 years or so. No offense to Ford, but pretty common on the 5.4 3 valves. Not sure if the newer 5.0 has had the issue though.

it is on my 2020 Transit. There is a good bit of room to work in there, but not looking forward to water pump/timing chain in about 20,000 more miles…

1 Like