New EU R134a leakage rate

I have become aware of a new R134a leakage rate of 40g per year single evaporator and 60g per year two evaporators. This figure was adopted by the EU.Is this the figure for vehicles to be used in the U.S.? A few weeks ago a link was posted that the loss figure was 15% in the U.S.

Um??? So what are we supposed to do with that information?

It can be used as a guide if the loss should be fixed or not.I dont believe zero loss is possible.If the loss is this low just re-charge and dont spend any money looking for it or repairing it. Seems simple. Being aware of the damage done by 134a is important.

You need to find something to do with your free time.

oldschool just likes to discuss different automotive ideas/concepts and procedures or common approaches used. He’s oldschool. Nothing wrong with that.

What’s going on with me is I am 54 worked in the garage since I was 18,had to retire because of back problems. Now in the fall I start a 2 year business administration degree program and I will go back to my old GM dealer as a Service AdvisorSo you wont be hearing from me so much after school starts.I like to post questions about all the different things I was told to do as a mechanic and speak about all the things relating to the business and the different reactions and experiences of the customers.I like to read the posts and see if I can figure out just what the people are saying and how I would respond. Thats all thats going on. I hope I can provide better service than some or our “customers” write about. I really do care about people getting a honest deal and good quality work.

Anything less than 100% leak-out per year is considered “normal” for most A/C systems. Compared to commercial refrigeration systems, the equipment installed in cars is junk…You know the warrantee just expired when you turn on your air conditioner and nothing happens…

That’s correct, I posted the US EPA link here on another thread a couple of weeks ago. The US EPA regs state 15% per annum.

Last time I checked the USA hadn’t joined the EU, I therefore doubt that the EU loss regulations are applicable.

It’s all good oldschool. I enjoy your questions and postings. Good luck with your schooling and new job, sounds like you’ll be one of the rare good service advisors out there.

Regardless of the “limits” I wouldn’t want to live with a 15% leak. If you have any measurable leakage, just find it and fix it.

Since they sell cans of pressurized “air duster” for your computer keyboards, etc., that really are just cans of R134a with a nozzle on them, it doesn’t seem that anyone is really too concerned with the effects of 134a on the environment at this point.

Just google R134a phase out or Kyoto protocol and you will see who is concerned with the effects of R134a.

should be zero leaks.

percentages are for bean counters,and the regulars.(no leak is acceptable)FIX THE PROBLEM.

I have three diff vehicles,and guess what the only POS,that leaks is the FORD.THE TWO .,soon to become antiques 1991 monteros still have the OEM CHARGE.

I dont care if its 134-a,or R-12.

no leak is the best.