New EPA Emission standards for 2009

The Ask.cars.com question of the day concerns HP reduction for the Pontiac G8.

The answer give that this HP reduction was caused by conforming with “new EPA emission standards for 2009”. Before I say that I doubt this explaination has anyone heard about these new standards and if they exist how they caused HP reduction?

For many years we have lived with EPA standards and better HP and better mpg,have things taken a different direction?

These charts aren’t dated, but, they show the emissions standards for different emissions categories (from Tier 1, through low, to zero emissions level vehicles): http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/best/cert.shtml
"The Obama administration plans to raise fuel efficiency standards by 2 mpg…" http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hMnmBlH_EfP1QGq8hTtOOI70xaTgD9761HTG2

Let’s face it, some car companies deal with new emission standards better than others. So while one car company blames its bad engineering on emissions standards, another car company is finding a way to make cars that pass emissions AND drive in a manner people like. Just look at cars made in the late 1970s. With new fuel efficiency standards to deal with, Honda, Toyota, and Datsun made light weight cars with smaller engines, while some domestic car makers cut corners. They made smaller engines but didn’t make the car bodies any lighter. They tuned the carbs to make them burn lean, which shortened the lives of the engines. So this is the perfect chance to see which car companies proactively solve the problem of new emissions standards and which car companies whine and complain that they are being “forced” to sacrifice standards. My guess is that GM is going to be one of the whiners while Honda and Toyota roll right over them and on to newer technological solutions.

Lastly, I care more about a vehicle’s power to weight ratio than horsepower. If the new Pontiac G8 is lighter than the old one, it doesn’t need as much HP.

Really now, most of the vehicles could lose some HP without sacrificing any drive quality. Especially if it gave better MPG.

So right, Whitey! This time around the Detroit 2 who make cars in Europe have some experience under their belt since the CO2 emissions for Europe are 240 grams/Km I believe, pretty tough standard. The last time around, in the 70s, Europe did not have any standards, and the Big 4 hired expensive lawyers to go to Washington to tell the government that “it could not be done”.

As you may recall at this time Honda bought a standard full size Chevrolet, shipped it to Japan and the Honda president told the enginers to “Muskyize” it! Senator Musky was author author of the clean air bill.

Honda engineers quickly succeeded and shipped the car back to the US and invited GM to view it and offered them the technology for sale. They refused, of course, but the rest is history!

Meeting the new mileage standard will be with smaller, turbo-charged engines by Ford, and direct injection and some turbos by GM. Chrylsler will import engines from Fiat for their small cars.

All US companies will use more high strength steel, as well as aluminum. All 3 companies will offer hybrids to get the CAFE up.

Mazda has decided against hybrids and will offer diesel options and extremely efficient gas engines.

“…Honda bought a standard full size Chevrolet…”

One thing I heard is Honda put CVCC heads on a Chevy small block back then to disprove claims from the US companies that the technology wouldn’t work efficiently in large displacement cylinders. Later, CVCC engines didn’t need a cat converter until 1981.

That’s true too; they found a way to run small engines with catalytic converters, as did a number of other Japanese manufacturers…

All 2009 models were set for production early last year. As you may recall, the Bush administration would not allow the states to set new emissions standards. How could the 2009 G8 meet new emissions standards that didn’t exist when GM set the production specs and still don’t exist?

So the Pontiac guy was totally misinformed? The 2009’s do not have to meet a tougher standard than the 2008’s?

You meant HC emissions, right?? Reducing HP emissions is a snap. They don’t exist.

What really burns me, Diesel engines used in commercial service have virtually NO emissions restrictions. A ridiculous opacity test, yup, you’re clean, there you go…That’s about it. Off-road equipment doesn’t even get that, but your lawn mower must meet strict emissions standards. Do rail-road locomotives ever get emissions tested?? I think not. Why should a G-8 Pontiac be squeaky clean?