Emission control by PA

My girlfriend just purchased a 2009 Pontiac G3. She bought it in Ohio and drove it back to Pennsylvania. When she attempted to do the paper work for the title, she was told that PA has adopted CA law in enforcing a more stringent emissions standard. Her car states under the hood that it is a Tier 2 Bin 5 category under federal law. It also explicitly states that the car is not for sale in states with California emission standards.

I have read that T2B5 is equivalent to LEVII California standards and that Pennsylvania now requires the LEVII. My guess is that Pontiac just didn’t invest the money to provide paper work to sell the car in all states. Does anyone really know this stuff that might be able to provide an answer?

Sorry, I can’t provide any information about this, but since I live in PA and this is the first I’ve heard of this, I’ll be very interested to follow the story.

Good luck.

Centre county?

the Penndot site suggests all cars in that county are subject only to visual+gas cap check.

There are other counties with no emissions testing at all!

Who told her that the car couldn’t be registered…the notary public? Or was the paperwork submitted, only to be refused?

Yea, I thought the same thing. I guess there are two things going on.

The car cannot be registered because it is a 2009 vehicle which does not claim to meet CA standards. She has told me that 2008 and newer vehicles need to meet those standards or they cannot be registered. The emission test is something completely different. She can’t run an emissions test until the car is registered to her in Pennsylvania. Alternatively, you can register 2008 and newer cars if the car is not NEW. A car is considered new if it has less than 7500 miles on it.

PS. I live in Westmoreland and they require emissions test, but that it is a different topic. I guess I am more concerned with the registration part rather than the testing part.

“My guess is that Pontiac just didn’t invest the money to provide paper work to sell the car in all states.”

If my recollection is correct, the G3 is the Pontiac version of the Chevrolet Aveo, a problematic small car built in Korea in the former Daewoo factory that was purchased by GM. The G3 was starting to come off of the assembly lines at about the same time that GM was beginning their shutdown of the Pontiac division. No advertising was ever done, to the best of my recollection. VERY few were actually made. I would not be surprised if a number of details with the production and marketing of this vehicle fell through the cracks, so to speak.

Truthfully, the registration problem could be a blessing in disguise, as the Chevy Aveo (the mechanical twin of this car) is not a car that is considered to be a good vehicle. According to Consumer Reports, it suffers from low engine power, yet has unimpressive gas mileage. It handles poorly, and has an uncomfortable ride. And, its reliability has been below average. Perhaps she should just sell the car to someone in Ohio and cut her losses.

This is just my opinion, which you can accept or reject as you see fit. However, you might be interested in reading comments from Edwards.com regarding this car:

[i]The five-door Pontiac G3 subcompact hatchback enjoys the dubious distinction of being the shortest-lived Pontiac model of all time. It debuted for 2009 and GM went bankrupt shortly thereafter, necessitating the discontinuation of the Pontiac brand. If you’re interested in a G3 (though frankly we’re not sure why you would be), keep in mind that the car of which it is a clone, the Chevy Aveo, continued to be produced after '09.

Like the Aveo, the Pontiac G3 traced its roots to GM’s Korean Daewoo division, which had a little runabout called the Kalos available for rebadging purposes. There wasn’t much to be said for the G3 when it was new, and there’s even less going for it on the pre-owned market – other than its assuredly rock-bottom price, that is. Despite the G3’s diminutive size, its fuel economy wasn’t any better than the larger Honda Civic’s, and its performance and refinement were unimpressive.

Produced for 2009 only, the Pontiac G3 was a five-door subcompact hatchback available in a single trim level. Standard equipment included steel wheels, foglamps, a rear spoiler, a tilt steering column, manual accessories (meaning no power windows and such), air-conditioning and a six-speaker CD/MP3 stereo with an auxiliary input jack. Notable options were power accessories, cruise control, satellite radio, aluminum wheels and a sunroof.

Power came from a 1.6-liter four-cylinder rated at 106 horsepower and 105 pound-feet of torque. This engine was backed by a standard five-speed manual transmission or an optional four-speed automatic. The former’s EPA-estimated fuel economy was 30 mpg combined, while the latter’s dropped to 28 mpg combined.

Inside, the Pontiac G3 was attractive enough, sporting decent-quality materials adorned with metallic-look accents. Climate controls were straightforward, though the stereo employed an array of buttons instead of more user-friendly knobs. The G3 offered a convenient 42 cubic feet of cargo space with the 60/40-split rear seats folded, but the 7.1 cubic feet available behind the rear seats won’t hold more than a few bags of groceries.

In reviews, we noted that the Pontiac G3 got the job done in a competent but forgettable way. The steering was responsive enough and the ride was adequate by subcompact standards, but the engine protested loudly when full power was needed. We actually preferred the optional automatic transmission to the manual gearbox. Though the five-speed was rated as slightly more economical around town, its ratios were overly wide, and it was a chore to shift.[/i]

Then a PA DMV is the place to get your answers, not here…

But I suspect they crave your money more than they care about emissions standards…

The seller is going to take the car back. Apparently they did some research on their end and discovered they never should have sold her the car in the first place. She has told me that even if she was to modify the car (which does not void the warrant if she uses a “certified” kit) to meet the emission standards, she would still not be able to register it under the state law.

Needless to say I am going to be involved in her next car purchase and save myself two trips to Ohio.

“But I suspect they crave your money more than they care about emissions standards…”

I wonder if the PENNDOT would be flattered by the power you suggest they have? All they do is what the law states they have to do. The State Legislature pulls the strings.

That is very good news.
The Chevy Aveo/Pontiac G3 is a vehicle with absolutely nothing to recommend it.
Hopefully you can introduce some good judgment into her next car purchase.

Good deal they’ve opted to be responsible and take it back. Buy a car in PA and save yourself from this hassle again.
Atleast upgrade to the G5 or G6(Cobalt and Malibu clones if I’m not mistaken) if it must be a Pontiac.

No, people pull the Legislature’s strings…That’s why they created Exemptions, Variances and Exclusions…

Emissions testing has NOTHING to do with clean air. It’s all about MONEY…

I can see why Pennsylvania is one of the few states that is losing population…People are finding better places to live…