New engine in a Volvo?

If It’s the turbocharged 2.5 than the $3500 quote is pretty much what the used engine costs from the source that seems to have quite a few listed on Car-Part.com. Used engines can be a gamble unless your mechanic can check it out and/or trusts the place he’s getting the engine from.

I towed my car home 50 miles several times for $125, but the rates have gone up now since my regular tow guy quit. I guess it just depends how much you want to use the car yet. I put a couple engines in my diesel Olds. One Goodwrench reman for $2400 at 200K, and a used one for $1000 at 380K. But I drove the car 100 miles a day and put 500K on it so got my money out. I don’t think I’d spend $4000 on a Volvo engine though, but if you like the color and are willing to put a trans in and the other costly repairs when they come up over the next five years, have at it.

So, if you were going to do this, say, and you found an engine with 90K and a lifetime warranty for $2700 (Erie Vo-Vo), and one with 55K for $2200 (Saw Mill Auto in Yonkers) with a 6 mo. warranty, which way would you go?

More expensive, more miles, lifetime warranty, or cheaper, less miles, only 6 mo. warranty?
Curious….

go cheaper, because you are really missing the point.

after you install the engine, and save $500, you are going to be thankful that you saved the money because we think you will be needing it to put into the transmission.

could be wrong about this, but you should consider this possibility.

Thanks, I am, which is why I’m not totally decided on this yet…thanks for the advice!