New driver, blind in one eye: suggestions for vehicles and safety?

The cousin with the two good eyes took the physicals for all three. It was different times, these three all started driving in the 50s and trucking was much different then.

For example, there were still 3 breweries in Buffalo in the late 60 or early 70s and they all gave free beer to drivers that picked up or delivered there. They did limit you to two beers.There was a company that had a straight truck driver with a steady East side run that included all three and he would deliver to them every morning and pick up every afternoon. When he got back to his terminal at the end of his day his company had him leave his truck in the yard for someone else to back in because they knew he couldn’t.

One                                                                                                                                                                                                freight company that I worked for, the thievery was so bad that 3 of the dockmen and the foreman chipped in together to buy an old pickup truck to haul the goods away. 

What I knew about and what I recommended are two different things.

1 Like

wow . . . :fearful:

I know this is an old conversation, but it’s so hard to find information about this topic!

I am a new driver. I just got my learner’s permit, and I am legally/nearly legally blind in my right eye. Since it’s my right eye, I can usually compensate on the road by turning my head, checking my side mirrors (the rear view mirror is a little hard to see), etc. Finding a good car is tricky, too- cars with good visibility and high affordability (>5k) are hard to find!

I have little depth perception, so I wait longer to turn out onto a road, since I can’t tell how far away a car is and I have no desire to crash. Low depth perception also means it’s hard for me to estimate my braking distance- I usually start braking too soon, but hey, at least I’m not going to rear-end someone! I don’t know what it’s like not to have a lazy eye, so in normal daily life I don’t usually have any problems. I might occasionally bump into something, or maybe tilt my head a little, but my left eye is so good that I’m usually fine with my glasses on.

Driving has forced me to face the fact that my vision is significantly impaired, and that it will be harder for me to learn to drive compared to other people. With life, I can learn by making mistakes, but with driving there is so little room for error. Does anyone else have any other ways that they compensate for this problem when choosing cars and driving?

You can see my previous post, f you have not already. Visibility issues are a problem in many cars, like the rectangular wide view little mirrors you stick on the side mirrors. Depth perception s different for me vs people with 2 good eyes, and guess after a lifetime I have learned to cope well enough. It may take a while to build up your confidence in driving, but you may be a safer driver than many on the road. Just to reiterate I think I use relative size of an object to compensate for my lack of depth perception. Drive on BRO!

I sure hope I driver safer than some people on the road! After waiting too long to turn out onto a road the other day (I couldn’t tell how far away traffic was and missed several chances), a motorcyclist behind the car that was behind me got impatient, pulled all the way around both of us, made a rude gesture and yelled something unrepeatable before pulling out and nearly getting hit… crazy! I did wait too long to pull out, though, and it was this situation that really made me realize how much my depth perception could be impacting my driving. I would feel really bad if I inadvertently caused any sort of accident.

Thanks again, Barkydog! Looks like I need to read more of the conversation… TLDR :yum:

1 Like