New Car safety features, closer to a self driving car

They closed the high bridge for about a year if that’s the problem. So everything is screwed up. 169, 35, 94, etc. with multi year construction. The doozer is 94 to downtown for a year or more while they rebuild the interchange and put in a bus station. I don’t have to go through there for a couple weeks though. I try to stay on the south side or skirt around the place.

He is currently in his second term, and the NJ Constitution prohibits any more than 2 terms in office for a governor. He could–I suppose–run for Dog Catcher, but I doubt if he could even win that post, given his incredibly low approval ratings.

To return to the topic of cars, our Transportation Trust Fund ran dry because several NJ governors–including Chris Christie–used that fund more or less as a credit card in order to fund everything else–EXCEPT road and RR construction and maintenance. Christie should be complimented for putting that fund back on a firm financial basis, but at the same time it is important to remember that he was one of the state’s chief executives who caused the problem in the first place.

With all due respect meanjoe - that is exactly what they are. They are the first steps in technology that needed to happen before self-driving cars. The technology like detecting objects is one of the very first steps to autonomous cars. You don’t just build the autonomous car with all the features built in. You need to take technology steps…then build on what you’ve learned.

1 Like

It surely has the potential to. If all cars are autonomous - they can easily be linked together and sending digital messages to each other. If one of the vehicles gets a flat it will then notify all other cars in a x-mile radius and then traffic can be diverted around it.

Some engineers and scientists looking at the long term use of this technology foresee that there won’t be a need for traffic lights or stop-signs. Cars will be talking to each other and maneuver intersections seamlessly.

For the first 10-30 years of autonomous vehicles - not sure what the situation will be.

1 Like

Yeah, but then all engineers and scientists are by nature dreamers!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I believe that will happen eventually. But probably not during my lifetime. Most of the old cars will need to disappear through attrition first. I figure that’ll take a generation or two AFTER truly self-driving cars become readily available. Will people actually use them as Johnny Cabs? Perhaps an additional generation will be needed for people to actually have that level of confidence in them.

Time will tell.

The original reason for my post, perhaps clarification is necessary

I hop on the interstate, no input from me the car keeps me in my lane, and while on Cruise, slows down for a car slower than me and will automatically stop if it detects a road hazard. so that is why I said closer to a self driving car.

The Lane Departure Warning system does not keep your vehicle centered in your lane, it provides a warning when the vehicle gets close to lane markings and provides small amounts of steering correction to keep the vehicle in the lane. If you are not controlling the steering the vehicle will weave back and forth 4 feet in the lane.

Toyota’s Lane Departure Warning system is not intended to be operated without the driver controlling the steering;

If the system detects that the steering wheel has not been
operated for a fixed amount of time or the steering wheel is not
being firmly gripped, a warning is displayed on the multi-information
display and the warning buzzer sounds.

From the Toyota website for our new Rav4 @Nevada_545
"Lane assist, gently puts you back in your lane if you veer out" As noted in the original post, disagree, contact Toyoata, have not gotten but a test drive,and wifey loves it. Where is your info from? Mine is here.

The Rav4 is not a self steering vehicle, if you get the opportunity to drive it you may be disappointed.

I am somewhat familiar with the Toyota/Lexus Lane Departure Warning system, I have performed the calibration process on about a half a dozen vehicles, then road tested them to verify the operation.

Recalibration of the LDW camera is necessary after windshield replacement, this is an expense that vehicle owners will need to adjust to.