New Car Is Having Problems

I have an automatic 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i that has a little less than 1,000 miles on it (I bought it new at the end of October).

A couple weeks ago, I was making a right hand turn, tried to accelerate, and my car wouldn’t speed up. The tachometer spiked and the Check Engine, AT Oil Temp, ABS, and No traction lights came on at the same time (steadily lit), and then the cruise control light came on (flashing). I had let my car warm up for 5 minutes, and was about a half mile from my house when it happened.

I took it to the dealer who determined that there was a faulty valve body and replaced it (under warranty of course).

I got my car back a couple days ago - I was driving back home from work and the car did the same thing again. Took it back to the dealer and they think it’s the fuel pump this time. Haven’t gotten the car back yet, so I don’t know about the outcome of this particular trip to the shop. Although, the mechanics seem absolutely puzzled by what’s wrong.

What does everyone think?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

It would appear you’re not the only one having problems with their new Suburu. http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2168406.page

Tester

Hmmm, the tach spiked so the engine revved up but no acceleration. Doesn’t sound like a fuel pump problem to me.

No idea at this point abd it’s likely not a fuel pump problem but did you receive a paper copy of the repair order for this valve body replacement?

yeah, That shop guy is out in left field. I wouldnt spend much more time with him

I have no idea what’s wrong with the car, but this is why new cars have warranties. Document everything in case you get into a “lemon” situation.

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com

Keep your paper work and read up on that website. If the car has this same problem again, let them know you’re aware of the lemon law(if it applies in your state) and they’ll have 1 more chance to get it right, otherwise you’ll be talking to Subaru America about a replacement vehicle. Be firm, but polite. Going in all lit up will get you no where

It’s a fly by wire problem, or a computer problem. The dealer may have to reflash the computer, replace it or find out which part of the system isn’t working.

Your specific problem is also a GM problem (Chevy, Buick, Saturn, etc.) that has been happening for years.

“Your specific problem is also a GM problem (Chevy, Buick, Saturn, etc.) that has been happening for years.”

Oh ? Please explain specifically what this specific GM problem (Chevy, Buick, Saturn, etc.) is “that has been happening for years.” Please include the symptoms and causes and conditions that are the same, and how you know that the Subaru problem is the same specific problem.

I’m not aware of this GM problem described as " . . . my car wouldn’t speed up. The tachometer spiked and the Check Engine, AT Oil Temp, ABS, and No traction lights came on at the same time (steadily lit), and then the cruise control light came on (flashing)."

Fill me in, please. Our family has owned and operated several GM vehicles for years. I’m not familiar with what you state. I am aware of a different issue involving intermittent starting problems on some models and model-years, but If you aren’t exactly sure of what you’re talking about or just “throwing GM under the bus,” then I’d like to get your comment on that, too.

CSA

I Wouldn’t Be Too Quick To Judge. Speaking Of Guys Who Are Out In Left Field . . .

CSA