New Car Dealer says they forgot to charge me tax

If you do that, I bet it gets closed by one of the admins.

My state does not have a sales tax. However some of our dealerships have found other ways to cheat the customer. In 1999 my wife wanted a new Subaru Outback. She was at work and I went to the dealership to check out what they had. They had two Outbacks MSRP $27,000 on sale for $22,000. I did the obligatory test drive on residential streets (ho hum) and waited for my wife to arrive. When she did we had another test drive wjth her at the wheel. By that time it was dark and pouring rain. We were on a 55mph 2 lane back road with curves and a 3 foot wide gravel shoulder leading to a 3 foot deep ditch. The salesman then suggested she put the right side tires on the shoulder which she did. He then said ā€œstomp on the brakesā€! Before I could scream from the back seat ā€œshe aint Parnelli Jonesā€ she hit the brakes and the car stopped straight and true. I was impressed. Back at the dealership we filled out the offer of $22,000. The sales manager brought it for us to sign. It was not that difficult to notice they had added $1700 luxury tax! I pointed out that luxury tax was 1.5% on price that exceeded $50,000 on a vehicle purchase. The purchase price was $22,000 Not $72,000. The answer was, Oh! that must be a computer error! It then went to the actual contract where they tried to sell undercoating, magic clear coating on top of the clear coat, interior scotch guard, and extended warranty. We declined all of that BS and were presented with the contract. We read it very carefully and I noticed my SSN was incorrect. They gave us the corrected copy to sign which had the original MSRP of $27,000!!! At this point we had endured 4 hours of their BS and said we were going to walk. They quickly corrected the contract and we signed. Iā€™m sorry for the length of this post. I wanted to warn everyone about totally dishonest dealers.

Yes, I think so too. I found this very similar link to a thread about a problem someone else had, and what happened. They had a mistake in the price of the car vs. my omitted tax. They ended up striking a deal and everyone walked away, according to what is there.

Yes, I think so too. I found this very similar link to a thread about a problem someone else had, and what happened. They had a mistake in the price of the car vs. my omitted tax. They ended up striking a deal and everyone walked away, according to what is there.

What ended up happening with the sales tax? Iā€™m in a similar situation paid in full $14,751 and on the contract dealership wrote NA under sales tax and a week later they are saying I need to pay an additional $1,200

Sorry, but this was 5 years ago so what their solution was might not even apply to you or your state. You have a legal problem and a forum is not the place for that kind of help.

You need legal advice, not car advice. I suggest you seek professional legal advice on this issue.

Personally, Iā€™d be tempted to return the car for a full refund if the dealership doesnā€™t honor the contract, but that might not be your best course of action.

We are not attorneys, but the posters on this forum are, and hereā€™s their answer to your question. Short version: Dealership can jump in a lake.

This is a very, very common dealership scam. They ā€œforgetā€ to add money so that you buy the car and then will be less inclined to reject higher payments out of fear of losing the car.

Were I in this situation, I would write the letter recommended in that link, and I would also write my stateā€™s attorney general to make them aware that the dealership is committing fraud and using the government as muscle to do so.

1 Like