Need new 4WD car

I want to buy a new 4 wheel drive car (NOT an SUV), and Tom & Ray had mentioned awhile back a hatch back that was reasonable and they like, but I can't remember what it was (?Suzuki, maybe).  I have a Subaru station wagon right now, but it will go to my daughter when she gets her license next year, and I do not want another Subaru.  We need something reasonable.  Any ideas?  I live in Wisconsin, and really like having a 4 WD.

I think you mean the Suzuki SX4, it’s a 5 door hatchback. It starts around 15 or 16k with a manual transmission. I believe a 4 door sedan is available for 2008.

Ed B.

You need to tell us how much you want to spend. There are a lot of AWD cars available. The SX4 is probably the least expensive, but you would likely prefer an Audi or BMW if you can afford them. Acura and Infiniti also have AWD cars. Someone I know at work has a G35x and thinks it’s great. But it will set you back #35,000 - twice the price of the Suzuki.

Another inexpensive choice is the Dodge Caliber AWD. However its bleeding edge for Dodge and may be troublesome.

I would recommend taking an 08 Impreza(yes Subaru) out for a test ride. They are nothing like previous versions and more of a mainstream car with a proven drivetrain in it. They are similar to 05+ Legacy’s where Subaru moved from tin boxes with outdated interiors to modern times.

Also consider the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4.

Some of the SUV’s are fake ones and are really cars. Gas mileage is the relevant category here.