Need Help in Making Final Decision

I have a 1993 Chevy Blazer 4wd 4.3L Z engine.

After doing errands I turned car off, but needed to move. Turned the ignition, heard a small “poof” sound and car cut off. Turned ignition again but all I heard was a click sound as if starter died.

Took it next day to Mechanic 1 told him to put new starter in because this has happened before. Called me back 15 later car needs new engine cause it was seized. Went over to check but took car to my Mechanic 2.

Ask him to check out engine before making a purchase because I didn’t trust Mechanic 1. 2 told me the engine was ok and was able to start the car after putting a new starter in.

The car was driving as it normally does (we had alot of work done to it and did cut off frequently depending on the amount of gas inside). After making a pitstop to a friend’s house the lights and inside dash started to flicker. A couple of hours later my mother was stuck because the car cut off entirely and the clicking after turning the ignition resumed.

The tow truck driver tried to give the battery a boost but nothing. Said it could be the alternator or an electrical problem.

Took car back to Mechanic 2 to put in new alternator. After doing so, said car still had same problem and wasn’t alternator.

So now we go to Mechanic 3 who does electrical. 2 was able to get the car working so I could drive it over there. It was parked for two days because they were closed.

I call Mech 3 to find he can’t start car but will try to find out problem. After a week and a half I call again and he says not to spend anymore money on car, but I want to see a diagnostic report.

He says he put a new battery in and it run out or didn’t work or something. This is when it starts to get fuzzy about what’s going on.

I feel he should be able to do something to get diagnostic info from car.

I am just in need of some more info. Can anyone offer any info and/or opinions?

My opinion is that you should let the mechanics decide what needs to be replaced rather than you telling them. Well, not Mechanic 1, who seems to be clueless or dishonest (or perhaps both).

WAG: The “poof” you heard could have been the alternator warning bulb or a fusible link going up in smoke, which may cause the alternator to fail to charge the battery.

Other than the current problem, how is the rest of the vehicle?

Could be the starter jamming. Had a car this frequently happened to; the pinon (?) gear on the starter would jam up the large gear on the flywheel it should be engaged with. When that happened I had some trick to unjam it, don’t remember exactly, but probably rocked the car back and forth a bit in gear.

The point is, when the gears are jammed, both the starter and the engine are stuck and can’t turn, and that sounds like some of your symptoms.

This could be as simple as a melted fusable link, and probably is. But I agree with NYBo that you need to let the mechanics do the diagnosis rather than telling them what to change and wondering why you’re still having problems.

Keep going down the same path and you’re going to run out of both money and mechanics.

My answer is the same as the first time you posed this problem.

My answer is the same as all my answers when dealing with an older car. It’s too old to be reliable or economical to fix unless you can do it yourself. It shouldn’t have to catch on fire to make you want to get a newer one, should it?