Need help finding a super low mileage "new" 2004-2007 Subaru STI

Hello everyone, joining in an attempt to find help to achieve a decade long goal of finding a “new” 2004-2007 Subaru STI (showroom condition, stock, low mileage as possible) As my “forever car”!

Could not buy one back in the day and It is my favorite car ever produced. I have been looking and came close on one occasion 8 years ago but missed out by minutes and a bad salesperson. If anyone has one or knows of someone who does, please PM me. I am willing to give a hefty finder’s fee to someone who helps me fulfill my dream. I am a small collector, and I have been hoarding 2000s Subaru dealership memorabilia (posters, ads, showroom signs advertisements and even desk equipment) for years so that when I find the car the portion of my garage where it will live will look like a period correct Subaru dealer. Send me a message. Thank you

Hemmings has two on their site right now.

1 Like

I am looking under 10,000 miles ideally, stock and not modified, and for sale by private owner.

The hemmings cars are modified and higher mileage. thank you anyways

Me thinks I could find a Unicorn sooner .

4 Likes

+1
The very nature of those high-performance cars led to their purchase by younger guys who frequently drove them as if they were on a race track.

Can you find one that looks showroom new?
Perhaps

Can you find one with very low odometer mileage?
Not likely

Most important of all, since you want to use one of these currently 16 to 19 year old cars as your “forever” car, can you find one that hasn’t been beaten to near-death by its former owners (there could have been quite a few by this time)?
Extremely unlikely, IMO

3 Likes

I want a 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible 4 speed that I can afford also, but let’s be realistic here, that ain’t gonna happen either… :rofl:

What you are looking for is basically a barn find or old grandma garage find (most grandma’s didn’t buy STI’s), you are probably going to have to buy what you can get and “restore it back to OEM specs”… :wink:

For all the nay-sayers, quite a few Porsche enthusiasts bought these new, I’ve seen a good amount of lower mileage cars, I missed a 160 mile car 7 years ago because of a stupid salesman. Will it be hard to track one down? Yes. Does what I’m looking for exist? Yea, it absolutely does. Figured I’d cast a line out on the forum and see what happens.

Unfortunately, trying to find an older but low-mileage, unmodified, undamaged sports car is about as difficult as trying to find an older but low-mileage, unmodified, undamaged economy car. And when the car you seek comes along, you need to be ready to act fast.

We obviously have different ideas of what makes a great car, however the need to answer quickly when opportunity knocks is still the same. A few years ago, I saw a like-new Dodge Shadow with about 44,000 miles on the local Craigslist. I was scheduled to work that day, and I assumed that the car would still be available when I got home. In reality, I should have called-in sick and gone to buy the car. By the time I got home, the car was sold.

Yes I agree, I missed a 160 mile car in plastic because the sales person at the dealer 2 hours away was new. The person didn’t understand what to do when I told him I’ll buy the car and take a deposit, he told me the car is mine and he’ll call me shortly. Well, I drove 2 hours to see the car getting picked up buy someone else and the GM/Sales managers never even knew I called first because the new sales person was dumb.

I am ready, I’ve got the cash ready, and I’m willing to give someone a ton of money if they have someone they know with one and they connect me to buy jt

A couple of years ago I sold my former 2010 Mazda CX-7 with 35k miles on it because I don’t drive very far for my everyday activities.
A 10k mile 20 year old car is likely to have been a track car, which means it would have been rode hard and put away wet. And being a track car, it is unlikely to have been kept stock.
You just as well buy ANY stock '04-'07 you can find, then replace the engine and transmission with factory new if you are that concerned about mileage.

1 Like

We used to say that if you wanted a cheap tv, check the Florida obituaries. No central source for that but I know where there is a 69 Camero pace car that may be for sale soon or handed down

My San Diego friend (they had the prior-mentioned emissions testing readiness monitor problem), their job is to care for the elderly. Unskilled , low pay help, so mostly to take elderly for doctor’s appointments, help with organizing medications, helping w/showers, etc. Works at residence apartments for elderly. At the end of each month there’s a big trash container filled with tv’s and other – mostly electronics — stuff, thrown away by family members, that low-income/homeless folks know to search through, taking the stuff that’s easiest to sell. Use it now, can’t take it with you.

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. There’s plenty of sub low mileage cars. People collect cars and things like this exist, I posted here to extend the olive branch and maybe find someone who can help. I’m a collector, and collectors don’t buy cars and replace the engine and drivetrain so it’s low mileage. Thanks

And how many collectors will buy an old car with a less desirable engine and change it out for a better one? Swap out an I6/V6 Mustang/Camaro for a V8?

By claiming a person’s response is stupid, that olive branch seems to have a lot of poison ivy on it.

3 Likes

You didn’t give him the answer that he wanted, hence that type of response. :thinking:

2 Likes

There are many low milage vehicles stored away, few people get to see them.

While performing airbag recalls I worked on several 15 to 20 year old cars with under 10,000 miles, no paint chips, leather seats like new.

Stick around, it gets better/worse.

5 Likes

Collectors prefer a car to be original as possible. Nobody is collecting V6 Camaros or Mustangs, and if they are they’re worth more as they left the factory.

Like I said, dumb comment. Why talk about something you don’t understand?

Usually what happens when someone starts insulting the person responding to them.

[quote=“CTcollector, post:17, topic:190972”]
Why talk about something you don’t understand?[/quote]

1 Like

Insulting people who are trying to help you (for free) is my definition of ‘dumb’.

4 Likes

Sorry George, the computer changed my rv as in recreational vehicle to tv as in television. Guess AI hasn’t learned the difference yet. Stacks of TVs at the dump though. Cost me $15 to get rid of it. Black screen, I’m sure someone could fix it.