Nausea From Working Under Cars

Didn’t find much online beyond the link below.
Any information would be greatly appreciated – thanks in advance!

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/285375-Nausea-From-Working-Under-Cars

I’ve only gotten nausea when I’ve snapped off something important, rare or expensive. Really bad when it is all 3!

7 Likes

Maybe if you try to narrow it down. Does it only happen while you are under a particular car? Does it happen anytime you lie down on a creeper no matter where it is? Do you experience nausea in any other situations? Try and figure out the triggers and go on?

1 Like

Thanks for responding. The situation is very much like what the person at the forum link describes, along with the things suggested by comments there (like head injury, airflow/fumes, eyes, no trouble from other lying on his back, etc) – which were ruled out in that exchange.

I’m wondering if others have similar experiences to help rule out exertion in particular.

I tend to be too busy being mad at myself to feel nausea on those occasions. :wink:

2 Likes

Have you tried shutting off the engine?

Are you allergic to any animals or fur? Perhaps something is living in/on the underside somewhere or comes over and pees on your wheels when you’re not looking.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Maybe if you defined nausea better it could help. possibilities are, Sick to the stomach, ready to throw up, dizziness, faintness, lightheartedness, inability to think, muscle weakness or control, not asking for me but when you see a doc it may be helpful to describe.

Nausea is a symptom of heat stroke, but it’s also a symptom of about four dozen other conditions, and a side effect of several medications, so that probably isn’t much help, and you’re not likely to be properly diagnosed online anyway, unless you’re a car. :wink:

1 Like

The only thing I can add is that this symptom hasn’t ever happened to me as a result of working under a car. Sore back, knocked noggin, rust in the eye, yeah, but never nausea. I’ve experienced contact dermatitis from solvents several times, and nearly passed out from carbon monoxide one time though. This latter incident is said to have damaged some brain cells, but I dun’t notize anywhingz … .lol .

One of the problems I have while working on cars is not drinking enough liquids, get dehydrated and start feeling bad.

A form of claustrophobia maybe? I am a fairly large and clumsy man and on a trip to Europe I said to my adult grandson who arranged and accompanied the trip, “EVERYTHING IN EUROPE IS TOO CLOSE TO ME!” after about the 15th time my body had slammed into something that should not have been that close. From the too small showers, too small bathrooms, too short doorways, tiny elevators and stone walls inches from your fenders with gigantic buses coming the other way on too narrow roads. Europe just doesn’t fit.

4 Likes

well, it’s been a couple of days, and it seems this is not a common thing – thanks to all who responded!

Are you talking about working under the car on a creeper, or standing under it while it’s on a lift?

If it’s the former, you might check for acid reflux. That can cause nausea symptoms when lying on your back.

Lay down on the floor inside your house for a half hour. Does the same thing happen?

The former, and it doesn’t happen when otherwise lying on back. Thanks for responding.

no
Thanks for responding.

Try lying on your creeper while not under the car. Both in the garage and outside of it (if it’s warm enough).

I wonder if you don’t have a carbon monoxide problem in your garage. Or perhaps there’s some sort of outgassing from the creeper materials that’s causing you discomfort.

LIke the person at the link I provided, no creeper involved, and air circulation is not an issue.

I’ve been hoping to rule in / rule out the exertion factor (possibly combined with other factors).

What happens if you run up the steps?

no nausea
thanks for responding