Mysterious Windshield Crack

Now? It has been about 40 years.

1 Like

Wow! 40 years since any carā€™s windshield has been held in place by the 2-sided molding/flange method? Interesting. I wouldnā€™t have guessed that.

My own personal opinion, but the only time Iā€™ve had to have a windshield replaced in the last 15 years, I had to search to find a brick and mortar store to do it. I just donā€™t trust the outfits that will do it at your driveway, seems like they would be limited in tools, supplies, and someone to help what would seem to be be a two person job.

In my area the old established brick & mortar auto glass stores all have vans that will replace windshields on-site weather permitting.

The guy that replaced my windshield did it in my garage. He had a neat jig that attached to the door and swung the window in place. He spent a few minutes lining it up and dry fitting it. Then he applied the glue and dropped the window in. Been about a year and the glass is fine , no leaks.

Just curious, is the glue a sort of thick rubberized caulk so it provides a buffer between the glass and the vehicle ā€¦ i.e. it is thick enough to yield a little to changes in the glass dimensions with temperature changes? Or is the windshield basically just glued hard and fast to the metal parts of the perimeter of the window opening?

Being as how the goal is to make the windshield a structural member, the bonding agent creates a solid and strong bond. Itā€™s function is not to provide a buffer for movement between the body and the glass, but rather to prevent any movement.

Given the difference in expansion with temperature between glass and steel, there will be some movement between the glass and the frame.

George, check this out- https://www.jnphillips.com/jnp-difference/auto-glass-experts

I had a cracked windshield in a newish 1986 Hyundai (yeah I know) when I set the car to defrost on a cold day, might have been the glass was not given space to expand.