Myfirstcar, 1999 camaro basic upkeep?

hey, i just bought my first car and i want to keep it for ever!! it might not be a great car but i worked many hours for it, i don’t really know how to keep up with some basic things… any tips?
thanks

If you have the owner’s manual and maintenance schedule that came with the car, read it and follow the maintenance schedule. That’s the best thing you can do to take care of your car and make it last as long as possible.

If you don’t have an owner’s manual, you might be able to find an inexpensive used one at http://www.Books4Cars.com or maybe on Ebay.

Ask friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc, for recommendations of good independent mechanic in your area. You’ll need help at some point, and having a reliable mechanic working for you can save you a lot of grief, and money.

I suggest you avoid “Quicky-Lube” places or national auto repair chains. Local independent mechanics are usually a better bet.

Good luck. Enjoy your Camaro.

And you’ll want to put together a list of work to do, if you don’t know that it’s been done, do it just in case. Oil, transmission, brake and transmission fluid are top priorities, once you check that the brakes are in good shape.

If you don’t have a maintenance history, plugs, plug wires, filters are always a good start, after the brake check.