My radio cuts out when I step on the breaks

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with 40K miles.

When I step on the breaks the radio turns off and back on. Sometimes all of the dash indicator lights come on and off, as well.

It also happens when the car is in cruise and slows down.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

The trouble may be due to a faulty ignition switch possibly. It may also be a loose power connection to those areas you stated. Tapping on suspected areas with a screwdriver handle may flush out the bad spot.

Try using the brakes instead. Anytime you use the “breaks” something has to break.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try both.

Thank you especially for noticing my misuse of “breaks.” haha, I will proofread next time.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

I’m thinking bad ground connection.

I agree. A floating ground can cause a host of strange behavior.

It may be that the brake pedal lever has contacted some wire(s) and worn bare areas. This could allow shorts between wires.
Turn the ignition key on, look under the dash where the brake pedal lever moves. Have someone to watch the dash lights. Turn the radio on. Press and release the brake pedal and watch for possible wire contact and radio on and off, and dash light flicker. Press the brake and move the wires around near the brake pedal lever. Results on the radio, dash lights?
If you can move the brake switch with a screwdriver,try that. Effects on the radio, dash lights?
[One of my problem spelling words is: axel.]

Did you ever figure out the problem!? I’m experiencing the same thing, 2008 fj

Check the battery is locked down and not moving around. Check your battery cables too.