My Mustang sounds like a lawnmower

Hello,

I have a 2000 Mustang that sounded fine one morning then after work, I turned it on and everything sounded fine, then while driving it all of a sudden started to make a very loud lawnmower type noise in the front of the car whenever I accelerated. I have had a mechanic look at it and he said that I don’t have any hoses loose. What do you think it could be?

Probably the radiator fan hitting something.

It could be many things. A loose hose is about the last thing I’d expect. Is the noise related to the engine rpm changing at all? Or is it only related to the speed of the car changing? It could be brakes, wheel bearings, any drive line item, transmission, radiator fan, exhaust leak, water pump or alternator or air cond. compressor bearings, idler pulley, get the idea?

If the radiator is cooled by a belt driven fan with a fan clutch, the fan clutch bearings sometimes go out and cause this noise. Do you hear the noise if you rev up the engine when the car is in neutral? If so, the noise is probably a bearing in something driven by the engine–alternator, air conditioning compressor, power steering pump, etc.

If you don’t hear the noise when revving the engine in neutral, but do hear the noise when the car is in motion, I would suspect a wheel bearing. IMHO, the worst thing that can happen to a machine is that it sounds like a lawnmower.

My mustang makes a similar noise. It was diagnosed as an exhaust leak in the manifold.

The EGR and its plumbing are a likely source.