My HHR has both these problems

These are a technical service bulletins. Can I ask the manufacturer’s field representative to cover the repair. After all, it’s the manufacturer who pays, not the dealer?

FIRST ONE:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : HHR Year : 2007

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Service Bulletin Number : 4110 Date of Bulletin : DEC 01, 2007

NHTSA Item Number : 10022361

Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Summary :

LONG CRANK, ENGINE WILL NOT START. *KB UPDATED 1/30/08. *NJ

SECOND ONE:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : HHR Year : 2007

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Service Bulletin Number : PIP4416 Date of Bulletin : MAY 01, 2008

NHTSA Item Number : 10025605

Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Summary :

INTERMITTENT WTALL WHEN COMING TO A STOP OR ENGINE CHUGGLES PRIOR TO A STOP, HYBRID DTC P1A6F. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4T45E TRANSMISSION INCLUDING HYBRID. *PE

Ask them But be aware that these are TSBs and nor recalls. Recalls are safety issues and MUST be covered under warranty. TSBs are advisories and/or supplemental procedures to the dealerships. Depending on if the vehicle is under warranty, they may or may not be freebees.

By the way, it would have been advisable to post the manufacturer’s resolutions that came with the TSBs rather than just the problems.

You have not told us if your vehicle suffers from either or both of these problems. If it does, then you would be covered under warranty since the vehicle is a 2007 model.

Does it suffer from either or both problems? If not, then asking for GM to pay for these procedures is like asking your health insurance company to pay for surgery on an organ that is not diseased.
In both scenarios, you would not be covered.

Actually, he did say. His post heading is “My HHR has both these problems…”.

Are you saying the Dealer looked at your car and reported “could not duplicate”?

Whoops! Yup, I neglected to note the title of the thread.

However, I still want to know some details of the dealer’s response when these problems were reported. Both of these situations should be fully covered under the OP’s various warranties.

Also–“chuggles”?? Does GM really use terminology like this?

Those numbers and dates are meaningless to everyone except NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Agency). They are NOT the car maker’s numbers, or dates.

I DID find the information you are looking for (through my public library’s Web access to ARRC (Automobile Repair and Research Center. Ask a librarian).

The (revised) Service Bulletin–Information Number 02-06-03-008C, June 2007, titled: “Subject: Low Voltage Display on IP [Instrument Panel] Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, No Start, Slow Cranking, Dim Lights at Idle, Low Generator [alternator] Output”, is what you’re looking for.

Essentially, the alternator can’t keep up with the demand for electrical power when the engine is at low speed or idling, and a lot of electrical stuff is turned on at once. So, the battery becomes discharged as it tries to make up for the alternator’s shortfall.

If you sit at idle, in traffic (or out), for long periods of time, with a lot of electrical stuff turned on, YOU need to raise the engine speed to over 1,000 rpm to keep the battery charging.
To make up for the charge shortfall, you keep the engine rpm raised (with the foot, of course) [which causes the alternator to charge at a greater amperage rate], AND, TURN SOME STUFF OFF.

Have the battery / alternator CAPACITY-tested , to insure that they are both operating at their optimum. If they are, It will be your job to prevent battery discharge by the means already noted.

For diagnosis, the Information (Corporate) Service Bulletin Number 05-06-03-002B, is cited.

Why is this a NHTSA issue? safety related?

Can the OP clearly post what problems he is having with his car.

I don’t see a reference to a “chuggle” or a “long crank” in the revised service bulletin.

It appears the OP is refering to two TSB’s.

Only at the Christmas office party…

OP we are asking for some clarifacation here,come on you got people to respond to your question, how about some follow-up?