My dads selling my car!

Well… My dad is about to sell my 97 Dodge Intrepid becuase it needs bushings and struts and he thinks they are going to cost him around $2000 just for the parts. Last summer I spent over $1000 getting things fixed on this car and I have come quite attached considering that totalled about all the money I had. Anyways, so my question is… does anyone know a way that I could get these parts for cheaper and is the task of replacing these parts going to be too difficult for a mechanic that does cars on the side at home? Would they need big equipment? and about how much do you think it would cost for labor and parts?

Thanks!

Struts are no big deal and you have to define what is meant by bushings. (control arm, strut rod, etc.)

Any of that is easy to change and I don’t see any way in the world it should come to 2 grand, or probably even 1 grand, even if you paid a shop to do it.

AutoZone shows struts at about 60 each and lower control arm assemblies (assuming you’re talking about a control arm bushing) at around 60 each side.

Well they said the 2 bushings are gone and another one is about to go and that when it does my engine will fall out. does that help or is that still too general?

do you live near an auto technology program or vo-tech? Sometimes they take on non-student cars as projects. Basically you pay for parts and shop materials charg, or no or discounted labor rates.

Call around and get estimates on the strut replacement. Sometimes Sears runs good sales and I have had them do good work for me.

Struts can be had for $70 each (Monroe Gas-matic lifetime warranted). Need more clarification on what bushings are required, but I have trouble coming up with $2000 in parts alone.

Go find a couple of independent shops that provide free estimates and get a real assessment of the problems. Also get more info so that we can help you decide if Dad is right, or if it is feasible to repair cheaper.

By far, the cheapest solution is if you can find a Vo Tech auto mechanics program to do the work. I have done this a few times over the years.

Sounds as though somebody’s jerkin’ your chain.

Engine mounts hold the engine in place.

I recently bought a 95 buick with 164K miles on it. I needed to stop driving my chevy avalanche due to it costing me 125 bucks a week in gas. Anyways I paid 700 bucks for this car and I lucked out cause it didn’t need a lot of work just a really good tune up and some TLC. If it ever needs any expensive parts I’m going to check out a scrap yard first, you find a lot of really good deals its just a little bit of extra work.

You need to be specific about the bushings. For a 97, I doubt the control arm bushings are bad. I doubt your motor mounts are bad either. As for struts, If you want to do these yourself, you can get a complete strut and spring set so you don’t have to work with dangerous spring compressors. You will need to get an alignment when your done. Might be a good father son project.

Ask your Dad if you can keep the Dodge if you can get a reputable mechanic to make all necessary repairs for under $1000. If he agrees, take it to any honest mechanic anywhere and get an estimate on front struts. Do NOT mention bushings. Just ask about front “shocks.” If he agrees that’s all you need, fat city! And you will know the first shop was just looking for a fish.

I showed this post to my dad becuase he loves car talk and I thought it would change his mind and it might have… but he just laughed at me because its a 97 chrysler concorde not an intrepid. Does this make a difference or is the information different for a concorde?

If he’s getting you a newer car, just take it. The newer car will also need parts; so you should be driving a 2007 in about 18 months. Struts don’t cost that much and forget the engine mount bushings unless there is a problem. One that another mechanic agrees is a problem. The owner has to agree too. The trade school idea is a good one too, but engine mounts aren’t really expensive, and they are easy for a mechanic to change.

The Concorde and Intrepid are twins.