My Car WON't start

My name is Elodie, I have a 1997 2.5 Acura TL. I have had many issues with the car and basically replaced everything. For the past 6 months i have been having the same problem where sometimes it starts and sometimes it does not. It does not start when it’s cold outside. My mechanic changed all of the electrical computer stuff related to my car, he also added a fuel filter because he had no idea how to access the fuel pump, which he believed was the problem and i have spent almost $1000 on this issue, do you have any ideas what the problem might be? When i place the key in the ignition everything turns on but once i try to start it, it just cranks and cranks will not start. Please help. I am a college student and cannot afford a new car or even to lease one right now so any help i can get would be appreciated

you need a new mechanic.

+1 to wesw’s comment.
I was thinking that the mechanic is incompetent almost from the beginning of the post, but once I read “he had no idea how to access the fuel pump” , that confirmed it for me.

While I empathize with the OP, I can’t understand why she would return again and again to a mechanic who has demonstrated–again and again–that he has no clue as to what he is doing.
Additionally, this mechanic may have consciously cheated the OP if he claimed that he “changed all of the electrical computer stuff”. There is a very strong possibility that he charged for parts that were never installed, or that were totally unnecessary.

If the OP goes to the top of this page, and clicks on the words, “Mechanics files”, that will lead to a search engine. By entering your zip code in the appropriate place, you can find nearby mechanics who have been recommended by forum members.

Divorce yourself from this so-called mechanic immediately!

“My mechanic changed all of the electrical computer stuff related to my car, he also added a fuel filter because he had no idea how to access the fuel pump, which he believed was the problem and i have spent almost $1000 on this issue,”

This is not a mechanic…This is someone pretending to be a mechanic…Your fuel pump is inside the gas tank and it very well may be the problem. Try this. When starting the car, first turn the key on and off several times before you crank the engine. If this helps, the fuel pump becomes the prime suspect…There was no need to add a second fuel filter as there is already one located under the car back near the fuel tank…(which should be changed)…

There’s not nearly enough info available to be able to determine what is going on here as we do not know if the problem is lack of spark, lack of fuel, problem with the fuel pump controls, etc, etc.

If the pump is suspect what could be done is to remove the fuel pump relay and insert a jumper wire. This should run the pump constantly and allow the engine to start if the problem is related to lack of fuel. This would be a test only and any jumper wire should be removed after this test.

That will at least determine if the pump is good or not. If the engine runs with the jumper then a diagnosis of the pump controls should be done.

First…find a real mechanic. I recommend finding a good independent mechanic and have them check out the problem. A real mechanic has good troubleshooting skills which will save you money. I hope this so-called “mechanic” is not one of those guys at a chain repair shop. Always avoid chain shops and quickie oil change businesses. They know as much about mechanical things as a burger flipper knows about raising cattle.

Did your “mechanic” change the fuel pump relay? When you first get in the car and turn on the key without cranking the starter you should be able to hear the fuel pump start up breifly in the rear. If your car doesn’t start and you don;t hear the pump when ypu cycle the key, change the relay.

This pretend mechanic is the reason the industry has a bad reputation

Oldtimer, I doubt if that clown could FIND the fuel pump relay!

Wes gave you excellent advice, beautifully clarified and added to by VDC. A competent mechanic can diagnose and fix this for you. Sadly, you’ll have to consider the $1000 already spent as the cost of an education.

on the bright side, you have some new parts on your car that should last awhile

On the less brighter side, there’s still a lot of new parts that could be thrown at the problem… :slight_smile:

I did not tell her how to access the pump. I was afraid she might tell her mechanic