My car is hydroplaning too easily

You have mismatched tires, two of which are are of dubious quality, and all of which seem to be in various states of wear. That’s probably most of your problem.

When I buy tires I first do some internet research. I’ve found that Tire Rack tests and comparisons of different brands in the same class (e.g. grand touring) let me narrow down the choices. They also have reader reviews FWIW.

1 Like

Like the first light rain in the spring! Lots of buildup over the dry winter greased up by a light rain.

The size is 215/45-17.

I should clarify that I didn’t actually hydroplane because I was taking it slow, but a few times it felt like it was about to hydroplane, or if not hydroplane per say then lose control for whatever reason.

Are you going to get 4 new tires now ? They don’t have to be expensive just have good traction rating . Also there are a lot of buy 3 and get 1 free and rebate programs for buying 4 tires .

Yes I’m headed out soon. Michelin seems to be the recommended brand. Are there Michelin’s that are less expensive than CrossClimate2 but would still provide roughly the same level of safety?

While Michelin is great, you can get ‘good’ and still be fine. I’ve had no problems with tires from Pirelli, Yokohama, and would also consider other ‘name brand’ tires. Is there a Discount Tire near you?

Yes there’s a Discount Tire fairly near. That’s where I’m heading.

Have you gone to their web site to see what they have available? They may have to get the tires shipped to that store, it could take a day or two.

I did experience a hydroplane, 78 mph probably on an interstate. Good tread on tires, and enough rain to wash away oils I do believe. Michelin latitude tour hp ms on a Rav4. Had been maybe a half an hour of rain, and hit a real downpour. Felt it, no loss of control, cruise control off, slowed down then was fine. First and only time ever.

Does the car have the factory original size wheels? If so, the door jam shows the correct size(s) tires.

Those cars sometimes get extreme size aftermarket wheels put on them. That can complicate your tire choices and make the car have less traction if not on dry pavement.

He’s posted the stock size for his car.

But does he know if he has OEM size wheels? A tire dealer should measure the wheels if there’s any question, but the customer might not know.

… and with that mess of tires on the car now, I wonder about some tire sellers that have had their hands on it.

Tire dealers like to sell premium tires but some customers shop by price.

How would stock tires not be on stock size wheels? Very unlikely.

Look at the tire finder site for Discount tires . I have had Cooper tires - Goodyear - Pirelli - Hakook and some house brand I can’t even remember the name of . All of them had good rating and never had a problem .

Discount Tire didn’t have Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 in stock, and Monday is the only day I can easily have this done. I went with Continental Control Contact Sport SRS+ which has an AA traction rating and is all-season. The roads have dried up today so I can’t know for sure if this solved the problem but hopefully it did.

I appreciate all the advice.

2 Likes

Good. Just make sure and get an alignment, eliminate the other potential cause of the problem. And it would be good to do, regardless, given the history of the car.

2 Likes

Tire Rack has a sale on 2019 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires for $151.85 each. Your mechanic of choice mounts, balances, and alights them. You can get a price for the additional services as long as Tire Rack has them in their database. That’s what I do.

Never mind. I see you bought tires already. Good luck with the new Continentals.

You did a smart thing and the results should be apparent especially in inclement weather.

My 1999 Honda Civic is still going strong and all the tires I’ve bought for it have been better than the original ones. They had poor winter traction and they wandered on grooved surfaces. It was a relief to get the car working as I wanted it to. The tires I chose made the difference. Tirerack and Consumer Reports have been my go-to for actual data on tire performance.

1 Like