My 88 bronco 2

I have an 1988 Ford Bronco 2. It has a 2.9L V-6 and 4 wheel drive. It also has a 5 speed manual transmission.

Now this vehicle has many problems but I cant begin to address the rest untill I get this one rectified.

My Dad said you guys could get me an answer and that you knew quite a bit about automobiles. IF we can get this situation fixed I will bring my Bronco’s other problems to you.

My question is what is the correct starter for this vehicle. I recently had to replace mine and when I got back from the parts store with the new starter, and got it installed into the bronco I found out that it wasnt the correct one. The problem I am having is that when I turn the key to engage the starter I hear an awful grinding sound. I have done some research on the internet forum sites and some people suggested the problem maybe the fly wheel. So on a whim I purchased a new ring gear and replace the old ring gear. And still I get that awful grinding noise. I have tried shimming the starter and still no affect. I have even used a screw driver to pull the cone gear of the starter all the way out to see where it matches with the ring gear. It seems as though the teeth match up but it appears as though the gear does not “throw” deep enough. It looks like it only “throws” about 1/2 inch into the ring gear on the fly wheel.

I am at a loss with this thing so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly, there were two starter applications for Fords of this year. These were called short nose starters and long nose starters. If a short nose starter is installed in place of a long nose starter, it results in the problems you’re expieriencing.

Tester