My 1992 toyota previa Le van drip oil while driven there burn smell drip onto exhaust is this safe

this safe too be driven I bough as second car drive but now I’m scared be driven hear that may caught fire what do need get fixed on it stop dripping is valve cover gaskets I was toll were replace two yrs. ago I don’t know what need be replace is valve covers,or O-ring and disturber assembly or what is issue has anyone ever own or had previa LE-93 had this common issue how did you fix how much did it cost too fix I’m at end my rope it fun drive don’t want sell it off I payed $1,000 for month ago was what should I do should sell it or try fix just want oil stay in engine and stop dripping and burn oil smell too stop

Proper analysis = proper repair.

If it’s a constant drip I would advise checking the oil pressure sending unit as these can be prone to pressure leaks around the molded plastic when they get age on them.

If it is the sender leaking this is a cheap, easy fix.

Had a Previa for years. Toyota designed a sort of gutter to direct oil leakage from the distributor oring on to the manifold to burn off. I had to have my mechanic replace the oring. I do not believe it was that expensive or time consuming for him to do. I would not worry about it catching on fire. The smell means it is burning, and not collecting. These vans are mid engined, and many are intimidated by this. Actually there is a huge access panel to work on the motor under the passenger seat. Just remove the seat - pull back the carpet, and about ten screws. Complete access to the 4 cyl. They are very easy to work on.

I say this respectfully, but I’m not buying for one fraction of a second the idea that Toyota designed a gutter to steer oil onto an exhaust manifold for the sole purpose of burning it off.

Does the Previa have 5S-FE engine ?

I have an early 90’s Corolla that sprung an oil leak in the valve cover gaskets several times over the years. If it is that, make sure the tech follows Toyota’s shop manual instructions of where to apply rtv sealant in add’n to new valve cover gaskets. And to torque the valve cover bolts per Toyota’s specs. (Which is not very tight, too tight will warp the valve covers then they’ll never seal correctly.)

Valve covers are just one place for a leak to occur. Oil can leak at a number of spots in an engine. And as you drive the wind under the car is blowing the oil that leaks around like crazy. 70 mph winds down there. It can be very difficult to tell where the leak is coming from. Stopping it from leaking is usually easier than figuring out what it is that is leaking.

One idea is to clean the engine of most of oil that has leaked out, then put a special UV dye into the crankcase oil. As it then starts leaking again, the tech can spot where the leak is coming from using a UV lamp.