Must be patch tuesday, laptop hosed, glad it is not my car

So my laptop is now in endless loop of installing updates and restart, and windows wants to be the os of my car, thanks but no thanks.
1 hour later my laptop is useless, thank greater dieties it is not my car! On my Win 7 big computer vs win 10 laptop

With your big boy computer careful what you click on here at this site. I clicked on one ad yesterday just out of curiosity and bam, locked my computer up, orange screen. Call such and such to be unlocked. Yeah sure kiss my “forehead”. A reboot took care of it. I have a refresh thumb drive and keep a history drive up to date so if the computer guy couldn’t re-do the computer I’d rather throw it away and start over. I got a feeling with Equifax and everything else this might be like a wild west shootout before we’re all done and go back to paper.

Onstar says my left front tire is low though and I’m 67% till an oil change so I guess some computers are working ok.

1 Like

In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

1. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

2. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

3. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single “This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation” warning light.

4. The airbag system would ask “Are you sure?” before deploying.

5. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

6. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

7. You’d have to press the “Start” button to turn the engine off."

5 Likes

One trick I’ve used successfully is a “hard reboot”. I unplug the power, remove and reinstall the battery pack, then restart the laptop.
No guarantees, but it’s worked for me before and is worth trying.

By the way, I’ve seen Barky’s list before and have always enjoyed it. It says a lot about Microsoft, none of it good. For the record, I too have been having a terrible time lately. I suspect MS is up to something covert. :sob:

1 Like

I’m just going to enjoy not having had any recent problems and keep my fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Lately my MSN home page has been worse than usual.

Certainly you’ve heard the one about the three engineers commuting to work together when their car dies. The mechanical engineer says it must be the engine, we need a new one. The electrical engineer is convinced it is the wiring and it needs to be diagnosed and repaired. The software engineer suggests they all just get out and get back in…

1 Like

Thanks. At least I know I’m in good company!

Update: I just checked my internet signal strength. It’s weak, three of five bars, and I’m on 75ohm coax. I’ve checked all the connections and swapped out the cables, and I cannot make a difference. Without a scope I can’t measure signal strength at the input, so I’m kind of stuck checked obvious things. I’m going to call Xfinity tomorrow, but I suspect they may be a problem with the signal.

Remember that I work with computers for a living so have seen it all.

I really like Windows 10 overall. Some of the upgrade installs from Win 7 or 8 have been real problems. I always like to do a fresh install after they have been upgraded. Everything loads faster and the system is more responsive at the very least. Also, I see viruses and malware on 90% of the systems that I see. Often certain antivirus programs are more of a hassle than a help. AVG is one of the free ones that I see that needs to be uninstalled as the first order of business. PC Matic is a pay one and it is just about as bad. They sure make it look good in all those TV ads but that is where the good stops.

Installing system updates on a computer with corrupted OS files or registry errors can cause these nightmares where the computer goes into a reboot loop or or blue screens on start. Installing updates on a system infected with viruses can do much the same.

The best thing for this laptop is to wipe it clean and start over. Hopefully you have the data files backed up, otherwise you can remove the hard drive to extract the data, reinstall it, and start from scratch.

I must have tuned into Laptop Talk by accident! :laughing:

“Must be patch tuesday, laptop hosed, glad it is not my car”

I really did appreciate all the feeble attempts to tie cars into that topic… Very creative!

I’ve never tried because I’m not interested, but I’ll bet there’s a blog out there somewhere where computers are appropriate topics. :wink:

Carolyn must be away from her desk. :wink:

I’ll show myself out, thank you! :blush:
CSA

Much of the problem you may be seeing on sites like MSN is ADVERTISING. It’s littered with it. I have ad blocks at work and at home…the difference running with and without adblock is night and day.

Thanks, I really appreciate your good posts too.