Muffler Replace?

The total for inspection is $900 and we had no idea that there was a problem with the muffler. It didn’t even make a noise and it passed the emissions test. Now we get this bill and the muffler cut or broken as the edges seem shiny and new and the refuse to weld it back on. I am wondering if I am being taken advantage of.

The fracture occurred at the weld. Around every weld there’s a “Heat Affected Zone” (HAZ) on either side wherein the structure of the metal is changed and that area is more susceptible to failure. With a robotic weld, such as this one, the HAZ is so consistent that it can almost look like it was cut.

Welding rusted metal of this gage is a waste of time. By the time the edge is ground to prep it (you can’t weld rust) there’s not enough left for a good weld. And the new weld is another HAZ.

Sounds to me like the guy is giving you good advice and a fair price. Go for it.

More details, please. When did it “fall off?” Were you driving over a bump? Did you have to pick it up off the road?