'Move Over Law' has new requirements

1 Like

Sounds OK to me.

2 Likes

+1
It seems entirely reasonable to me.

3 Likes

Agree we have the same law here in Georgia. Also I think it should be nationwide.

2 Likes

Yes, but–unfortunately–we will still have lots of self-important and/or impatient and/or ignorant people who will continue to blast past disabled cars and emergency vehicles without even moving over.

2 Likes

"VDCdriver,
Yes, but–unfortunately–we will still have lots of self-important and/or impatient and/or ignorant people who will continue to blast past disabled cars and emergency vehicles without even moving over.

All too true I don’t know what the answer is but a move over law is a start.

1 Like

We have something similar in Missouri. I have no clue why someone wouldn’t do it beyond lacking common sense.

1 Like

Same law as Florida.

The net effect is traffic gets packed up and right lane traffic moves left without looking.

On a daily basis, we see displays of people who lack common sense. Then, when you throw the self-important folks into the mix, along with those who don’t even have a clue regarding MV regulations, we wind-up with lots of people who violate these statutes on a regular basis.

Many years ago, I was driving my car with a passenger who hadn’t regularly driven for many years. When he saw me turn my head before each lane change, his comment was, “Why do you need to do that? You have mirrors.”
:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Our cars have the indicators for lane change danger, but I still look over my shoulder. Not that hard.

IMHO, willful ignorance or placing personal gain above the common good doesn’t exactly qualify as an expression of “common sense.” YMMV.

1 Like

Common sense is not very common. :laughing:

4 Likes

If you adjust your mirrors correctly, you don’t need to turn your head to look over your shoulders.

Trust me, they are adjusted correctly. I have always turned my head to check traffic before changing lanes, and I have no intention of ceasing that action. There is nothing wrong with exercising extra caution.

3 Likes

Years ago when we moved to California I noticed that Highway Patrol officers would go around to the passenger side of a car to talk with a driver, something I never saw in Connecticut, where they walked up to the driver’s side of the car. CHP was trying to avoid getting hit, and it made a lot of sense. Leaning over to see the driver is uncomfortable, but getting picked off and killed is worse. Do officers do this routinely now around the US?

Yes, they do. It also allows them more clear view of the driver’s hands and the reach into the glovebox or center console for papers
 or weapons
 or drug stash. Also easier to drop below the protective line of the door in the event of gunfire.

2 Likes

The only place I have seen that done was in Florida but do agree it is a good idea.

Some of us cannot turn our heads.

1 Like

Granted, and understood!
Many years ago, before I went to a Chiropractor for some “adjustments”, I had some really severe neck problems that prevented me from turning my head more than a very small amount. During that period, I felt distinctly unsafe while driving.

1 Like