Mouse nest found in engine bay

one house in our neighborhood has ultrasonic “rodent repellent” thingy installed and emitting toward driveway

I’m not sure about rodents, but my [mid-aged] ears are close to exploding as I walk next to that house

it’s also very successful in repelling teenagers :slight_smile:

@thegreendrag0n I can’t stand ultrasonic devices. They kill my ears and, like you say, about make my head explode.

A thorough cleaning of the garage, checking seals around the doors, and some traps shall have to suffice. :mouse:

my wife does not hear that thing, mocks me every time we walk nearby :slight_smile:

good luck with your “mouse chaise”

A mouse I can cope with. An inconvenience but minor, unlike the squirrels that got into the house soffits and attic and did Very Expensive Damage chewing on roof rafters a few years ago. When having that repaired insulation was put in over the north facing garage for the first time. The advantage of the insulation along with a new insulated garage door has been a warmer adjacent family room in the winter as well as a warmer car to get into during winter. The downside has been an increase in all sorts of insects such as crickets, spiders, and centipedes, and now at least one mouse, deciding they like the warmer garage in winter.

Good thinking!
I added insulation few years back, and indeed noticed increased insects population, as now garage is not getting that hot in summer and cold in winter, but I did not have any mice yet…
Makes me think to carefully check on the door seals.
Still, I have our cat into the garage quite often and she’s so eager to hunt anything what moves, so she was probably guarding the place for some time.

I bought my dad’s '79 Buick Regal Limited that had been sitting in his driveway for almost 10 years. I decided to get a tuneup and when they opened the hood they found an old birds nest deep inside. There were 3 little petrified baby birds in the nest.

Well, after some months finally caught a mouse in one of the sticky traps in the garage!

The downside is I’ve neglected to check the traps daily in recent weeks and was alerted to check due to dead mouse odor. Phewee!

Double checked the car for signs the little bugger or its friends had tried setting up residence again but no sign of a nest or any chew damage. As a precaution I renewed a hearty sprinkling of cinnamon in mouse attractive places in the car and throughout the garage. Those precautions I have kept up with even though I neglected checking the traps.

So, Operation Murder Mouse continues. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Ulrasonic means frequency ABOVE the range of Human Hearing. Are you a dog that has mastered how to use a computer?

I have a couple of them in my house. One in the garage and one in my attached shed. I cannot hear them.

haha… tell it to teenagers who happen to have better hearing on the higher side of the spectrum.
my daughter covers her ears as we walk past that house, my wife laughs and tells we are kidding her.

I bet their “whatever repellent” technology is not strictly into the ultrasonic, but rather on the very high end of human detectable range

1 Like

Actually teenagers hearing isn’t that good…and getting worse. Mainly to do with the constant wearing of earbuds. Their ears are constantly being bombarded with noise.

https://centerforaud.com/blog/teenage-hearing-loss-on-the-rise

Most women can hear into a higher range than most men. I’m one who CAN hear some ultrasonic devices although not as often now as when I was younger. I feel them in my head as much as hearing an ultra high pitched piercing sound that stabs my ears and kills my head. In past years there have been some stores I couldn’t stand to go into because of ultrasonic noise no one else seemed to notice.

But then I also hate being near high tension power lines because it makes my teeth painfully tingle and feels like an invisible hand squeezing my head in a vise grip.

On the other hand, I’m always amazed how my cats can hear tiny sounds I can’t.

When I was younger I could hear to about 22mhz. Had to get a hearing test for the Army.

Now over 40+ years later I’m sure it’s less then 16mhz.

The more your ears are exposed to noise, the more hearing loss you’ll have as you age. 70 year olds living in the jungles of Africa and South America have almost zero hearing loss. We in our industrialized world - almost everyone will see hearing loss as we age. People living in large cities see more hearing loss then people living in rural areas.

I was going to ask if you lived in Australia until I noticed the date of the post.

How do things like this keep showing up in the “new” category?

Impressive but I think you mean kilohertz.
Even then it is still impressive as the general range tops out at 20kHz. I’m betting you could hear inductor and transformer whine in old tube type TVs back in the day. I could hear them if I leaned in close enough…I can still hear transformer whine on circuit boards we make that are running in this range as long as it is higher amplitude than the tinnitus anyway :grin:

Yes…kilo. Working with computers too long…I think in megahertz

Seems Marnet posted an update on the discussion she created, so that’s how.

I certainly could hear that whine as could my mother. Drove us crazy sometimes. As a result neither she nor I ever wanted the tv on all the time.

Years ago I started hearing a faint high pitched whistling sound in my dad’s car. It was coming from the engine even when idling at a stop. No one else could hear it. It gradually got worse. Eventually Dad had some sort of trouble with how the car was running and took it in for repair. Once fixed that sound disappeared. It’s been so many years I don’t recall what the problem was, just that it made a faint super high pitched whistle.

As a child I used to sleep on our covered 2nd floor porch for 6 months of the year, No a/c back then, we didn’t have central heat or storm windows.

I loved the sound of bats sending out their squeaks to echo locate insects as they flew. Back in those days, people liked having bats around because they greatly reduced the mosquito population. Our porch was open on one side and half the front, glassed in on the weather side.

Sadly, adult men usually lose the ability to hear them.

I recently had my hearing tested. I can hear pretty well in the normal range of men’s voices, 35 % loss but 60% loss in the range of women’s voices and higher. Works out ok for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like