Motorists, cyclists, & pedestrians: Who's road-use rights should prevail?

Now imagine that scenario with a golf cart coming at 12 mph… Yeah, I see golf carts (and some crazy woman driving some Chinese mini EV!) running down the sidewalks nearly everywhere where I live. They fill the walkway and won’t pull over. Makes me want to carry “stop sticks” when walking to pop their tires. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

130 on dryacant Interstate because a veryoung childbirth patient is bleeding to death.
(Hospital personnel claim the blood and platelets saved her life. Probably exaggeration.)

Wife and I ride the tandem fast in places where safe to do so. Not approaching pedestrians or kids on bicycles and people walking dogs. (Our “fast” is probably 25 mph.)

Sidewalks would probably cost more than homeowners want to pay, especially if not used enough to justify thexpen$e.
Our sidewalks are a combination gutter/curb extended flat 46 inches.
. . . . ______________
___/

Why don’t we have curbs and gutters? Well around here it is the property owners that pay for this, not the city. They provide a five year no interest payment option, but pay you will. Back in the 80s the cost about matched the price for the lot. Nothing is free.

1 Like

Every tandem bike that I have seen being ridden by a husband/wife always has the husband in the front and the wife in the back, without exception. Why is that? I can’t imagine they all enjoy staring at their husband’s backs.

I have Youqing ride in front so that she can see and enjoy the freedom of deciding where we go.
But then she has to control the tandem which causes her more effort.
My job is anticipate and lean to help stabilize the tandem. And bell and kickstand.

use full lane. or nice sidewalk.

I thought that looked familiar. Don’t explore much there anymore, just in and out as fast as I can. Made the mistake of stopping at the vacuum store after the trains were installed on university. An experience.

House across street was a 1-1/2 story. They added 2nd floor. Was assessed at $450k. Is now assessed at $800k. And is for sale for $1.2 million.

Seems like a lot of bicycle hate here.

My bike has 45000 miles and my car 94000. The first mile of my daily ride is on a road with a median and a clearly marked bike lane on each side. But there is also a walkway on one side. I regularly need to maneuver around walkers and joggers that use the bike lane. Not really a big deal, but I’m not happy. I ride another 2 miles on a road with a nice shoulder but it is not marked as a bike lane. My attitude here is the pedestrian has right-of-way.

Many years ago I had an encounter on a greenway where walkers would not let me pass and called the police. Eventually the greenway signs were updated to clarify usage.

As far as cyclists obeying the speed limit, who the heck do you have riding near you? When I was at my peak 20 years ago I could maybe get to the speed limit on a flat or going downhill. Now I average about 11 MPH as I approach 70.

3 Likes

I frequently run into that same problem when bicycling in this area. I thought I was the only one!! I presume the pedestrians who exhibit this sort of rude behavior hold the position that bicycles should not be allowed to share the public trails. And that’s just how they protest the established trail-use rules. I wouldn’t be inclined to bring the police into a matter like this, but instead I’d encourage the local town authorities to come up w/a plan to better educate all the trail users, e.g. which side the of the trail to walk/bike on, what to do when another user wants to pass, and how the passer should request to pass.

Well it’s not bicycle hate but after all, it is car talk. When I worked in town and we had only one car, I used to ride my bike to work, but not for fun. When I got a job 50 miles away, I switched to a car.

I don’t hate–or even dislike–bicycles. What I detest are inconsiderate bike riders who give no warning when they come up behind people on a narrow path. The bike riders who behave in a considerate manner are not a threat, and I don’t have any negative feelings toward them.

But, even when cyclists are riding on a road, there are too many of them who put themselves and others at risk. I refer to cyclists who insist on riding riding next to each other, instead of riding single-file. Also, every once in a while I will encounter a cyclist who has no lights on his bike, and this is extremely dangerous behavior when riding on roads with no shoulder, at dusk. These people are a traffic hazard.

BULL. No way will delivering blood by someone miles away is going to save someone who’s bleeding out. IMPOSSIBLE to get there in time. You’d have to get there in under 10 minutes. It would take more time then that to make the call and pick up the blood before even starting.

3 Likes

We have a different problem in New England. Many of the roads were built long before the horseless carriage. They are very narrow. You’ll see very busy roads with NO SIDEWALKS. Homes are only a few feet from the road and there’d be no place to put any sidewalks. I gave up riding on streets in NH. - way too dangerous. Luckily we have rails-to-trails where old train tracks have been converted to a trail system.

3 Likes

Something relevant, from 1956:

On the upside, technology is becoming available that allows police to turn an electric bicycle’s motor off remotely.

Agree with the electric bikes and scooters. Young kids riding them on the sidewalk, in the road, and everywhere. Then they are just left on the side of the road or middle of the sidewalk. Someone else is paid to retrieve them. You have to have a credit card or something to activate them so gotta wonder how a 12 year old would have one.

Now when I was a kid you’d be arrested for a motorized vehicle without a drivers license and judge Martin would have no mercy.

Just like drivers, there are some bicyclist that are good and some that are bad. Most of the bad ones seem to be the adults, kids know better.

A couple of years ago, I went back to the town I grew up in. There was a street that was 4 lanes plus a center lane and sidewalks that were 10 feet wide. Today this is one of the most woke towns in the nation, not as bad a Portland, OR or Morton Grove,IL but close.

That road is now a two lane road, the right lanes are bike paths. Yet you see the high speed cyclists in the car lanes and joggers in the bike lanes. Go figure. BTW there are only a couple of houses facing that street, it is mostly commercial and college.

1 Like

The cyclists who race along the 6 ft wide footpath adjoining the D&R canal, and who give no warning to pedestrians, are ALL adults. Things may be different in your area, but that is what I observe in my neck of the woods on a weekly basis.

I’d be putting an air horn and blowing it at the bad ones, a few times of doing stupid crap and getting the heck scared out of them, they would stop doing it… If everybody did it, it would scare them straight… just saying… lol

3 Likes