Motor Vehicle/Bad Good Road Trip Movies/TV Shows

Yeah Duel was a good one. Not sure if they still will have it but at Hollywood Studio at Disneyworld, if you took the back lot tour, one of the shows involved a replica of that old Mack truck.

Thunder Road too was one of the best. I remember I think it was the 51 Ford with the fuel injection he had at first and then my favorite when he moved up to the 57 Ford that he got killed in. I guess based on a true story. In the song, you can follow along on the map for the final route he took. (My wife once slept in the same bed as Mitchum but at different times of course. He had friends and relatives in Norway and she stayed at the same cabin.) Kinda a tough guy though.

It was deliberately bad. It was a cross-country road race, with extra points for running people over. 1 contestant started the race by backing up over his pit crew.

Even lamer is the stupid sci-fi movie that tried to piggy-back on its ‘popularity’: Death Ray 2000

Corvette Summer

Bad, bad, bad all 'round!

Some years after he passed, the guys on TCM mentioned that Robert Mitchum acted like a first class jerk when being interviewed . . .

I suppose technically Manos: The Hands of Fate qualifies. Family on a road trip stays at a hotel run by a cultist with demonic powers. One of the worst movies ever made. Only see the MST3K version - the studio release is just painful.

1 Like

What was that Chevy Chase movie where he had a brand new BMW and ran afoul with a crooked judge and LEO?

Nothing But Trouble from 1991(Dan Akroyd plays the judge and wrote the screenplay)

Knight Rider. That was a nice Pontiac firebird!

Yeah that’s it. Funny. I had no idea Dan Aykroyd was the judge.

Younger brother Peter wrote the story and played the doormanNBT_BMW

Not an entire movie about a road trip but the NYC taxi ride scene in the otherwise forgettable movie Crossing Delancy was funny. Folks who have never experienced the delights of a real taxi ride in NYC think the scene unrealistic. Oh but it is!
Been there, done that. :grin:

I re-watched it Sunday. I still liked it but realized it was a niche movie for car people which could explain the poor box office results. I think Steve McQueen’s ‘Le Mans’ had the same problem.

This may sound like sacriledge to some . . .

I was never a big Steve McQueen fan

I was more into Paul Newman . . . since we’re talking about actors who were into racing

1 Like

I liked them both. I got to see Paul Newman 2 or 3 times at the CART races at Portland International Raceway when he was a partner in Newman/Hass Racing.

2 Likes

It became a huge cult classic. That’s the movie that was the jumping stone for Steven Spielberg to then direct Jaws.

Kalifornia - Brad Pitt as a psychotic redneck and a nice old Lincoln convertible.

1 Like

Ricky and Pete. Old Australian one that’s pretty good

Cycles south. Old moto film with sense of humor but fun to watch

How about " The Words Fastest Indian. "

I really enjoyed that movie :+1:

I loved the part where the guy was shaving the tires with a knife :smiley:

I followed the story of Bert Munro and his record setting Indian in Hot Rod at the time he was setting the records. Do you know he cast hid own pistons by digging holes in the Australian desert and melting Ford tractor axles for the steel? He then made them round with a file. Amazing the things a man can accomplish when he lives where he can’t get TV.

1 Like