Motor oil shortage and alternatives?

Bought a couple quarts Mobile1 for oil change in the snowblwers, the shelves were stocked full of everything you could want. No oil shortage here!

Yeah, but that brand is only available in Alabama.
In the rest of the world, we have to look for Mobil 1.
:wink:

3 Likes

I think certain grades like 10W30 were well-stocked all around my town. The car in question takes 0W20 which I think is part of the deal.

I am well-stocked on oil for power equipment. I run 5W40 Rotella T6 synthetic in anything OHV and 15W40 Rotella T6 in anything non-OHV. I had a hard time getting this early on in the pandemic so really stocked up. I have 2x Wal-Mart Supertech jugs of 0W20 on hand now as well.

Also, I did see some ā€œhigh mileageā€ 0W20 in a few places. It was a few bucks more and I donā€™t mind paying that but is there any reason not to use high mileage oil in an engine that still have tight tolerance, doesnā€™t leak or burn oil, etc.?

IMHO no reason to spend extra $ on ā€œhigh mileageā€ oil for an engine that isnā€™t burning or leaking oil.

Fleet farm? Thatā€™s where I used to buy but for at least the last year or so the two shelve that used to have it have been pretty bare. Last time they did have about five jugs of Dino 5-30 but the Mobil 1 o-20. Only had a few quarts on the shelf. Iā€™ve accumulated about ten jugs of the three weights I use so Iā€™m ok for now. I canā€™t remember the last time I bought a couple quarts though.

I donā€™t mind paying extra if it is all I can find. Is there any reason NOT to use the ā€œhigh mileageā€ version besides wasting money if you cannot find the normal version and the engine is in good shape?

Looked at a high mileage, it was not synthetic, as required for me!

Not a space cadet I guess. :rofl:

I thought you were talking Mobil 1 high mileage? Never mind Iā€™ve got a 2 or three year supply anyway.

[quote=ā€œbing, post:26, topic:187267ā€
Fleet farm?
[/quote]
Autozone.

I may start doing this once I find the oil I prefer once again. Having a decent supply of ANYTHING seems like a good idea these daysā€¦