Most fun Manual, turbo 4x4

I live in the mountains so turbo is useful. It snows a lot 4x4 and I like manuals. What is the most fun manual, turbo 4x4 in your opinion and why? Thanks.

1983 Audi Quattro

2 Likes

Turbo charged in the snowy mountains just does not sound like fun . A turbo kicking in when you least need it will be scary.

Sorry , but there is a thing called Google that will let you make a list of vehicles to look at .

1 Like

Audi Sport UR-Quattro produced from 1980 (Euro market, 1983 US) to 1991.

1 Like

Go to cars.com and search for Audi with a manual. Won’t be many.

There are about 1300 used Audis for sale within 75 miles of me. Six of them have a manual transmission.

There’s one Golf R

1 Like

Too subjective. Go try a few and see what you like.

2 Likes

So you don’t think the new Porsche Dakar (turbo) would be a good snow car? I think you will find that the turbo lag on modern cars is very different than the turbos of old (Saab 900!). Watch: new 473bhp Porsche 911 Dakar tested on snow and... sand | Top Gear

Also, I do know how to use Google (thanks for the snarky comment). I have a list, but was interested in adding to it. Both the classic Audi suggestions were great and I did not have them on my list. I do appreciate you making a new member feel welcome though!

I have owned and enjoyed a Golf R (turbo, manual, 4x4) great car. But was looking for other ideas. The Audi suggestions were helpful.

Thanks. Good suggestion.

4x4 is an ambiguous term. I consider “4x4” as meaning

• transfer case, with ability to select from among 2WD vs 4WD-Hi vs 4WD-Lo
  • Rear and front differentials

If that’s the configuration you are looking for, suggest to do some research on Wikipedia etc, to decide if the vehicle you are considering actually has that configuration.

He’s fine with AWD, it seems.

1 Like

Meant all wheel drive. Sorry a Brit thing.

1 Like

…Subaru WRX or Toyota GR Corolla would be worth considering, I thought about the Mazda 3 Turbo AWD but those can’t be had with the manual according to the website.

1 Like

I suggest a used Dodge Shadow. They aren’t 4x4, but they are/were a lot of fun to drive. Some years were available with a turbocharged engine, though the 3.0L Mitsubishi engine would probably be a lot more fun. This was a very common car when I was younger, and I have very positive memories of it.

1 Like

Ford Focus RS or Mitsubishi Lancer EVO would meet the criteria, Both have been out of production for the US market for awhile now though.

1 Like

Good suggestions. Thanks

We’re mostly a US based group of folks here and the availability of stick shift is way more abundant on your side of the pond. Do Minis come with AWD over there? I could see one of those being a blast to drive in the mountains

1 Like

Good thought. Thanks

What if Google search results bring him back here?

1 Like