Most cost effective 5 person car

Some one else mentioned the malibu, I’ll definately check it out. With chevy struggling, might be able to find one dirt cheap and the rats start to jump ship.

So do you have anything more specific?

I could only be more specific for what is important to me. Each of us has their own personal feelings about things and they are just that our own feelings. My feeling on the subject would have no relationship to yours.

If you are buying a car strictly on cost effectiveness then you need to consider your use of the car, miles driven per time maintenance cost etc. But if you end up hating the car, the money you might save is not likely to be worth the feelings you have about this car you may hate or at least dislike the cheep car.

So if you don’t ahve anything to offer, why are you posting?

So if you don’t ahve anything to offer, why are you posting?

I guess we saw the post differently, but again I understand Jos. post exactly. Case in point that the initial statement I made that Accords/Camrys are the acknowledge value leaders of the automotive buying public…and most recommended over the years (you are buying used) by CR, a publication I trust more than any other on this matter.

Yet, the discussion appears to center around Crown Vics and Malibus, models that I feel are beyond their time or completely unproven long term. Others legitimately disagree with me backed by their own facts and figures. Neither of us will budge on our opinion. I have driven a Crown Vic for years for example, and I can understand their point of view. I just disagree, and feel the car should not be considered any more than a Yugo.

These are the differences that Joes.A Meehan was indicating. We all have different feelings on the matter and value our own “valid” conclusions. You’ll not be incorrect regardless of what you choose if you feel that strongly about it. There have been worthwhile discussions and posts by all that may affect those feelins, but you’ll have to live with the car, not us. I just point out that the buying public in my opinion has been more satisfied over the years with the Camry/Accord choices than any other. You may not and you are justified in not considering one.

Some of us are “relativists” and our advice may not seem pertinent enough.

And why am I posting ? I have too much free time on my hands.

You would have gotten (too late now) more responses, some helpful, some not, if you omitted your snide comments.

Ford “Panthers” set the STANDARD for reliability. They are bullet proof. You will NEVER see one by the side of the road with its hood open.

Are you willing to pay say $2000 more for a trendy Jetta diesel that is uncomfortable at best for 5 adult passengers? That $2000 worth of gasoline will push a Crown Vic 17,500 miles down the road all by itself…Generally speaking, fuel cost is the smallest cost of owning and operating a motor vehicle.

The original post said you were looking for low cost, low maintenance and above average safety. Then you start talking about Jetta diesels…

My opinion, since you asked, is that you have a spiteful attitude, and should reconsider making snide comments to those who are trying to be helpful.

Just to belabor a point…I loved the Crown Vic I drove as a police cruiser for all the reasons you point out and more. I’m a huge rwd fan as well. But, family Accords were bullet proof too, more economical, required less maintenance and newer models had better seating for 5 (if you prefer firmer more supportive seating) with much better intown maneuverability. The women especially in our family loved to drive them…the Vic on the other hand was a boat in their opinion, a lovely more functional one, but still a boat.

most cost effective 5 person car

Borrowing someone elses.

A Prius is MUCH more economical and reliable than a Jetta in my opinion.

Yes, I do that sometimes when I offer an honest and good suggestion to someoone asking for opinions and I get responded to with sarcasm.

But in truth I don’t take it personally. I notice you’ve responded to some other good people that way too.

Have a beautiful time trying to find a vehicle.

Hyundai Sonata (2006, first new gen year) or 2006.5 Kia Optima (same car). I4 engine. Can be 5 adult sized people.