More spying technology

He seems to come down on the side of upholding the constitution anytime I have heard him. If people have a problem with that says a lot.

Youā€™ll have to ask a lawyer but that is what the professor said.

Correct, at least in Washington state.

He can still ask, and you can say NO.

What you need to remember is, if you have nothing to hide, being cooperative with the officer usually makes things go a lot easier.

1 Like

Dershowitz has gone totally to the dark side.

1 Like

Likely true, but treatment like that seems extremely un-American. By US law, presumption of innocence is required at all times, even in minor traffic stops.

Yes, for sure.
Unfortunately, there are folks who were not presumed to be innocent when stopped for a traffic violation, and some of them are no longer around to tell their stories.

3 Likes

Typical narrative. The courts presume innocence not necessarily the police. Iā€™ve been stopped many times by patrol, local, and county officials. Never been shot at. But then I never drove off at high speed with the police hanging on, or made a quick move for something under the seat or at my side.

They state their case, you offer your side, and if you get a ticket you either pay it or plea your case in court. Thatā€™s how it works. Everyone goes home safe. Except maybe if you are trying to control a drugged up 6-4 person on a felony in a bad neighborhood. Then the police go to jail.

Change my mind with facts.

Wow, I wonder why. Sure probably going to get in trouble soon but last time I was pulled over was maybe 20 years ago. No I am not senoir safety, I speed 10 plus over the limit occasionally,watchful for yellow most part, donā€™t always come to a compete stop at signs for 2 seconds, but really try not to do too much to get police attention.

Yeah well bet you didnā€™t drive two million miles on two lane roads with a 55 mph limit.

Tai light blinking, 59 in a 55, 45 in a 30, drinking a coke and thought it might be beer, red light not changing at midnight, 70 in a 55 plus, headlight blinking, too many to mention. Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana. Maybe more, memory fading. Keep the cd I fought the law and the law won, in the car. Never swear at them until afterwards. Never been shot at or hand cuffed.

Maybe just need to get out and see the world more. But if the fbi comes to my door, they wonā€™t get in without a warrant, and I have no drugs and nothing to hide. That doesnā€™t matter to them. My mother let them in though 50 years ago when I joined the army. That was then though.

Curious why fbi would care whether or not you joined the army? Or were you applying for a high-security job in the army, requiring a secret or top secret clearance?

Back to topic of police treatment of folks they pull over. If they got pulled over in the first place, police must suspect some sort of guilt, as probable cause is required for a pull-over. So police wouldnā€™t be expected to treat someone they pulled over as completely innocent. But they shouldnā€™t treat them as presumed guilty either, just b/c someone refuses to hand over their cell phone. Just my opinion is all, donā€™t know the actual legal requirements.

Back in the days when college kids belonged to subversive groups I guess. They ran everyone through the sheriffs office for one thing and then the feebs even contacted neighbors to check up. I guess they were sworn to secrecy or something. Iā€™m not a joiner though and never even protested and they never knew about our criminal sweet corn business.

??? ā€¦lol ā€¦ seems hard to figure how growing sweet corn could be a problem?

Not growing it. Selling stolen corn. And there were enough of us to maybe qualify for Rico.

Maybe best to end this topic ā€¦ lol ā€¦

Not to mention we live in a society in which sleep aid products carry a warning label that says to be careful because the product may cause drowsiness.

2 Likes

All water under the bridge. We were kids. Statute of limitations long gone and witnesses dead-mostly.

As a school counselor, I lost count of how many times an FBI agent or an agent from the Defense Investigative Service (DIS) came to inquire about the background of former students who were in the military. Whether or not those ex-students were applying for a position requiring security clearance, I donā€™t know because the FBI/DIS agents couldnā€™t reveal anything other than the former studentsā€™ names and the fact that they were in our military. I think that they mentioned the military connection in order to dispel any notions that it was a crime-related investigation.

The agents always wanted to speak with at least two teachers, in addition to a counselor, so it was frequently the only amusing part of my day when I would appearā€“unannouncedā€“at a classroom door and tell the teacher, ā€œSpecial Agent X of the FBI/DIS is here to ask you some questionsā€. I think that a few of the teachers soiled their undies when I made that announcement.
:smirk:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s NOT whatā€™s happening. A website you go to will open and read any cookies you have on your system. A piece of JavaScript is run that then matches your cookies with companies the website sells ads to. The problem is with the Website. They arenā€™t selling your cookie data. They are just matching up your cookies with ad spots they have on their system.

I use Edge. When ever I close the browser it deletes all the cookies. I also do all my internet through a VM. Itā€™s much safer and keeps my system safe. Worse that can happen is some damage is done to my VM. I have a backup and if my VM gets damaged/compromised, I just delete it and copy over the new VM.

1 Like

And their heart sank looking for the phone number of their lawyer.

Yeah I really donā€™t know, thatā€™s just what mom told me. I knew the sheriff had to give a clean report on everyone. I was headed to signal school though and the cyber program was part of that if it made any difference. Others were assigned to biological warfare schools. Maybe it was different for the cooks and truck drivers.

My mother never knew about the corn business except I was a nice kid that never did anything wrong.

Mike would be a nice guy to have around. My plan if I get hit is to throw the computer away and get a new one. When my guy set mine up I got two thumb drives. One to never tough unless he had to reinstall everything, and one Iā€™m supposed to update every couple weeks. So I assume I could just start fresh without too much of a hassle.