More HP From A Stock Ford 4.0L

How, if possible, can I get more HP from the stock 4.0L (101K mi.)in my ‘96 Explorer? It pulls my 24’ camper fairly easy, but could use a little more power at times. I’ve read about air intakes, special filters, and electronic devices that retune the engine depending on conditions? Can significant HP gains be achieved with these kinds of modifications? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

It is practical with some engines and not practical with others. If no one here can help, try a board specific for Exploders. I would hesitate to accept any power adders without dyno results.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Beadsandbeads.

I don’t think you’ll see much of a HP gain at all even if you installed all of those items you mention. Many of these things make claims such as “20 more HP”, yada, yada, but that’s marketing for you.
After driving a few vehicles that I’ve installed things like this on I can say unequivocally that I’ve never noticed any gain at all in any area, be it HP, torque, or fuel economy.

The only real way to get noticeable power is expensive. Cylinder head and camshaft work, the addition of a supercharger, etc. but this can get pricy and also open up a can of worms if not done correctly.

The only real way to get noticeable power is expensive. Cylinder head and camshaft work, the addition of a supercharger, etc. but this can get pricy and also open up a can of worms if not done correctly.

That says it all. Modern cars are very well designed and complex. Trying to improve on them is not easy. If it were, it would come that way from the manufacturer. If you want more power, try a new vehicle.

You’re right. For example, Dinan, the BMW tuner, was honest enough to admit that the new BMWs come well tuned - they listed no hop-up parts for a recent BMW, saying they were not able to develop any ‘bolt-ons’ (computer chips included) that made any difference.

Also, many people will claim the new air filter or exhaust system ‘feels faster’, but that’s often a combination of wishful thinking and increased noise.