MKZ Lights

I have a 2016 mkx and when we shut it off, all of the lights stay on. We turned off the headlamp delay. Set it to zero. Any ideas?

For pete’s sake , this is a 2016 with warranty just use it. That is what it’s for and if you monkey around with it you might void some part of the warranty.

@jmeier
"I have a 2016 mkx and when we shut it off, all of the lights stay on. We turned off the headlamp delay. Set it to zero. Any ideas?"

Have you consulted your Owner’s Manual? I would just have to imagine there are some features of this car that aren’t naturally intuitive. I’d try that and see if there are any clues to all the technology.

I’d read through the manual, anyhow, to be sure I understand all the features that may be available.
CSA

I agree

Read the owner’s manual

Many cars nowaday have a lengthy delay feature, which keeps the lights on for 30 seconds . . . or longer . . . after you turn it off and remove the key

But the owne’r manual always tells you how to change the delay, or even deactivate the delay feature entirely

Do it again and read the manual but you may need to make sure its done for driver 1 and driver 2 since the settings can be different depending on which key fob is used. But zero may not mean exactly zero but just minimum as a safety feature.

The Lincoln MKZ we had the key fobs only controls the seat and mirror settings for each fob. The light delay was the same for each driver. I read that the lights stayed on. Not that they went off after some time. Maybe the OP will clarify.

" I read that the lights stayed on. Not that they went off after some time."

That was also my interpretation, and all I can say is that if I encountered this problem on a brand new car that is under warranty, I would be at the Service Manager’s door the very next day, rather than asking people with unknown skill levels to resolve the problem.

I also agree… first read the manual.
If you’re still having a problem, use your warranty. If you attempt to fix this yourself, you may void warranty coverage for and related problem. And if you try and fail to fix it, and then try to bring it to the dealer, you may have voided warranty coverage for this very problem.

…and even if it is supposedly covered in the manual, a dealership (particularly one selling luxury cars) may be inclined to help with interpreting the instructions in the manual.

When I got my 2011 Outback, I had a very difficult time getting the onboard GPS to function properly, and I asked the service department for some assistance. Within 10 minutes, they had willingly guided me through something that was not apparent to me on the screen, and had sent me on my way with some new knowledge.

I should mention that, while the Outback’s “regular” manual is very user-friendly, the separate (and thicker!) manual for the integrated audio/Bluetooth/GPS/backup camera was obviously translated from a different language, and it was not translated very well. Yes, it is better-written than the manual for my brother’s 1967 Datsun–which was written in what could only be described as Pidgin English–but Subaru could have done a much better job on having this technical manual translated in clear English.

Our Acura dealer scheduled a new owners workshop with dinner to go over the manual, maintenance, nav system, etc. and answer any questions folks had. We got personal attention on several of the quirks so suggest talking to the dealer so the issue can be sorted out.

+1 to VDCdrivers’ comment. The owners manual for my 2014 VW tiguan is a hoot and will drive a guy to drink

One example, the explanation for the TPMS system runs from page 206 to page 214 and is approx. 2,000 words… Caution this warning that, see this page see that page. Reading thru 8 pages of useless garbage to find the simple instructions for resetting the system is frustrating.

Giving credit where credit is due, the tiguan site on the internet does have a very handy short cut version of this info…

My Acura TPMS resets simply by driving it over 15 mph or so but for my Pontiac I need to look at the manual first. Something like push the lock and unlock button for ten seconds and the horn will honk and lights blink. Then the front left signal light goes on and you then increase or decrease air pressure until the horn honks and light blinks. Then proceed to the front right and do the same, then the rear. It really sounds convoluted but its not that bad. It helps to have an air compressor though to air the tires up again when its all done.

My TPMS system has two different sections in the owner’s manual for resetting the system. Neither section refers to the other and they’re both different. One is to “reset” the system. The other is to “reinitialize” the system. The first clears the fault signal without resetting the baselines (the pressures to which the system references itself to determine if there’s be a pressure loss), the second clears the fault AND resets the baselines. It took me a while of studying the manual to figure this out. It’s less than clear.

hey, it was a rental so I just unhooked the battery every night for 4 nights. The lights never shut off with the battery connected.

Are we to understand you did not contact the rental agency and ask for a replacement vehicle?

Next time you post, let us know important info like ‘it was a rental’ (so no manual, no dealer, etc). I bet the light switch was either on the fritz or was in an unusual position.

ahh, the proverbial rental.
During this last two weeks in Florida, we rented a '16 Dodge Journey.
In the way-back there was a manual . .but still in its plastic wrap.
I fished through every menu I could find on that fancy-schmancy little screen thingy but could never find ;
Miles to empty -or- trip odometer !
Almost didn’t make it back to Port Charlotte from Busch Gardens but threw in the towel and pulled off for gas with about 40 miles to go, since I did not know the accuracy of the gauge nor have m.t.e.

The owner’s manual is often in the trunk of a rental. I found it there for the last 6 rentals. It is usually under the mat. If it is a car, I usually find it in the tire well. If an SUV, there is often a storage are under the floor.