Milky Oil after oil change please read

So I flooded out my 1995 Gmc jimmy, removed all plugs and pushed the water out through the plug holes put in new plugs/oil/oil filter and it took about 2 minutes for the new oil to turn milky white. I don’t have the means to remove the oil pan but it was suggested that I poor 15 or so quarts into the engine while the drain plug and filter are both removed to flush out the remaining water and sludge.

Was wondering if doing so was a good idea, and wouldnt it be a better idea to use straight up gas to flush it followed by an oil change then driving it for 100 miles or so then changing the oil again.

If water entered the engine through the intake system you probably have a lot of water resting in the intake plenum that began to enter the engine after the oil change.

1 Like

Don’t forget to change the transmission fluid too.

Tester

No, this is a bad idea. You will have gas all over the place and the chance of a catastrophic fire event is real good.

Change the oil again run it until hot, look at the oil and change it again until it no longer gets milky.

Change the differential fluid, and the 4WD transfer case too. They all have vents that can have water forced in during submersion.

And stay out of the deep water, Captain… :smirk:

Agree that several oil and filter changes is the best option and will not damage the engine. For that you CAN go to Jiffy Lube or Walmart and get the cheapest package; just make sure they actually do the job.

I wouldn’t pour gas into the crankcase, seems dangerous. My dad used to pour diesel fuel into his truck’s crankcase to flush it out once in a while, as part of an oil change. He’d pour the diesel fuel into the crankcase, then idle the engine for a few minutes, then stop the engine & drain it all out. I’m not sure it did any good for a normal oil change, but it didn’t seem to do any harm either. Diesel fuel is less likely to catch fire and explode, that’s why he used it rather than gasoline. I’m not recommending this mind you. Just saying.

If the engine swallowed water through the air inlet there is now standing water inside the intake manifold–as stated above by Nevada–that you will never get out without removing the throttle body/plenum.

I’m not suggesting doing nothing is the best method, but wouldn’t water puddling in the intake manfold evaporate out by itself pretty fast as the engine warms up? Might take a few drive cycles, but it seems like it would eventually make it’s way out by itself. The engine might run poorly in the meantime, maybe that’s the concern why puddling water in the intake manifold has to be physically removed.