Windshield washer fluid in the wrong place

I accidently put windshield fluid in my oil filler tube. is there and thing i need to do besides change the oil?

Just change it IMMEDIATELY!

I would not start the car, but drain the oil, and put in fresh oil and new filter. After that I would drive it till warmed up thoroughly, maybe 15 miles and drain the oil and filter again.

Oil has many additives to neutralize nasty things the engine produces. Two oil chnages will take out nearly all of this.

I’m having a hard time believing this is real.

troll

I have no reason to suspect it’s a troll. If I listed all the really dumb things I’ve done over the years the thread would be long indeed. There was the time…oh, never mind.

As VDC and Doc said, get the oil drained and refilled immediately, before you start the engine again. Doing it twice may be pudent if you’ve started the engine, as Doc suggested. The oil “pickup tube” is submersed into the oil pool in the pan, well down into the pool, and if sufficient washer fluid was added to bring the level of washer fluid up beyond the pickup tube you may have pumped washer fluid through your oil channels. Oil floats on water, so the oil would have been floating on the washer fluid and the level where they seperated could have been higher than the bottom of the oil pickup tube. I don’t know how much affect the surfactant in the washer fluid would have.

If this was a stand alone thread…I’d agree…but it’s within a week of another idiot who put washerfluid in the radiator over-flow.

Point well made.

But God loves idiots. He must. He made a whole huge bunch of them. Perhaps two of his creations have visited us at the same time. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hey, Andy Granatelli put water in the crankcase of his car during a race at the Indianapolis 500 on purpose. Apparently, rules prevent adding oil to the engine. Some part on his car was defective and slinging oil out of the crankcase. Andy reasoned that if he put water in the crankcase, the oil would float up to the pick-up on the pump and he would get a few more miles. He, in fact, did a couple more laps before the engine blew. He had nothing to lose and could gain a few more dollars from each lap run.

The other thing he did in his first race was that he had so much tied up in the car that he didn’t have the funds to transport it to Indianapolis. He then reasoned that if the car was supposed to make 500 miles in the race, it ought to be able to make the trip from Chicago to Indianapolis, so he hung a pair of Illinois plates on the race car and drove it to the race.

Cool. We’d probably both be amazed at some of the things that have been done in the history of race cars. And the tracks. The “brickyard” was actually bricks!

I’ll bet the plate he hung on the car probably wasn’t even registered to that car.

How much?