Mildew smell

I live in San Diego, Ca. I own a 1999 Camry. I loaned it to my son studying in Ft. Bragg last year. The car came home for the summer and reeks of mildew. How do I get rid of the odor. How do I prevent it for this nest coming year? Ft. Bragg is extremely damp most of the year.

I live in San Diego, Ca. I own a 1999 Camry. I loaned it to my son for a year studying in Ft. Bragg, Ca. last year. The car came home for the summer and reeks of mildew. How do I get rid of the odor? How do I prevent it for the next year? Ft Bragg is extremely damp most of the year. We have tried baking soda and charcoal briquettes.

You might call a car detailing shop to see if they do odor removal. You might also check to make sure there are no leaks, like from a clogged air conditioner or sunroof drain line - is any area of the carpet damp?

No the carpet is not damp, mostly the moisture comes from the Fort Bragg environment being so foggy and humid.

I never thought Ft. Bragg was that much more humid than anyplace else in the south. Sure we’re talking about the same Ft. Bragg in NC, with the Airborne guys? At any rate I have had a similar issue dealing with a piece of used equipment and have tried most everything to get rid of mildew smell. It has imbedded itself in the cars cusions, plastic, headliner, etc. and there is virtually no way to get rid of it now. I’ve tried bleach, simple green, etc. The car needs to be parked with the windows sligtly cracked for air circulation to prevent it but once its there, best you can do is try a detailer, or a company involved in house cleanup after a fire or flood. IMHO anyway.