Midlife Crisis Car

I am looking for a midlife crisis car costing less than 10K. I looked at a 95 SE Red Convertible Saab that had 130K miles costing $5K. I think this is a bit expensive for the age and mileage of the car based on NADA and Edmonds thahad significantly lower prices. The man also said that the timing belt needs to be replaced every 30K miles, is this true?

Could you give me some recommendations of a good reliable midlife crisis car fitting my finances.

Thanks,

Saab cars are not known for being reliable or cheap to maintain. A better bet would be a 1999 or 2000 Mazda Miata. They are very good cars – fairly quick, handle well, reliable, cheap to fix, good gas mileage. Since one within your budget will be fairly old and well used, it is imperative that you get pre-purchase inspection by a trustworthy mechanic who knows Miatas.

I agree wholeheartly on the Miata. They tend to be reliable and are a hoot to drive. Pay a mechanic for a check before purchase.

Finding something decent for $5K may be tough, you will have more choices for $10K. What about a $5K motorcycle, much more fun than a car (if you’re going to have a midlife crisis, do it right)?