Miata valve ticking....another suggestion

Today on the show, Tom and Ray suggested to a caller from Sacramento to go to the dealer for a stuck valve/lifter ticking problem on her miata. Before she does that, have her change the weight of her oil and switch to synthetic (or a synthetic blend). Each miata is different, but I have two of them - one of them likes a 15/40 synthetic and the ticking goes away, another likes a 5/40 blend and no ticking there. Don’t have her spend $$ on a dealer repair as I think this will take care of the problem for her.

I have to agree with this comment, as a Canadian and as a miata owner. I have a '95 that just rolled over 98000 miles. I purchased it used a couple of years ago and initially had the same problem. Based on information on the miata.net site, I started using a value cleaner just before I did an oil change and then switched to a heavier oil (initially 20W50, then 15W40). I’m now using just regular 10W30 oil, but with a quart of the Lucas Oil Treatment included. This seems to have resolved the problem - maybe some minor ticking on startup, but it quickly goes away and I don’t get the severe ticking/knocking that I heard at the start.

People will suggest that she replace her lifters (the older miata’s all have this problem and there are replacement lifters that fix it). That would be money down the drain, when a $5 addition of some oil additives would solve the problem.

People will suggest that she replace her lifters (the older miata’s all have this problem and there are replacement lifters that fix it). That would be money down the drain, when a $5 addition of some oil additives would solve the problem.

Well it might solve the ticking, but the problem is still there.

The caller’s Dad may well have been right!

My own & now my dad’s 90 miata (blue, you’ll ask) had the lifters replaced at < 10 k miles and was quiet until 165k+ when dad’s mechanic did an oil change. My dad thought he had a real problem - not only were the lifters loud, the pressure gauge showed 15lbs at cold idle. He figured oil pump. I asked what filter & he told me Fram, which I wouldn’t put on a lawn mower even though I grew up with 'em. I went over with a Wix-made filter and swapped it in. Ta da! Problem solved - pressure up to 30lbs and lifters quiet.

The Miata has a real oil pressure gauge, I think the caller should have been asked to check the pressure. In any case, Tom & Ray should bring her back for Stump the Chumps - make sure the caller’s dad is on the line, he may be vindicated :slight_smile: